News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New DCC On Board Decoder Motherboard CVs

Started by jwb, January 03, 2017, 12:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwb

I've worked with several of the newer HO locos with DCC on board (not sound value), which don't have an 8-pin socket but have the decoder mounted on a motherboard. These apparently include newer GP9s and GP40s.

I find that these seem to have some sort of acceleration variable built in , but they don't seem to allow for programming more than a few CVs. The accel-decel variables in particular don't seem to be reprogrammable. So far, the only solution I've found has been to remove the motherboard and replace it with a hardwired decoder from another manufacturer.

A contributing factor is that the new motherboards don't seem to be well documented, or documented at all, unless I'm missing something. Can someone clarify what CVs are programmable on this board?

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jwb

OK, that doc refers to the 8-pin 4-function decoder used with the older DCC on board locos. As I said in the OP, I am referring to the new integral motherboard, which clearly has different features. The doc you point to says the 8-pin 4-function decoder can be reprogrammed with an advanced command station. I am unable to reprogram accel-decl, start voltage, etc on the integral board using an NCE PowerCab on a programming track. I have been able to reprogram the 8-pin decoder, but not the new integral.

These are two different products. As far as I can tell, there is no doc for the new version.

I hope someone from Bachmann can help with this.

Hunt

jwb

Sorry, I've already removed the board and replaced it. I do notice, though, that the doc on the 8-pin version says "On delivery, the decoder is programmed for operating with
the basic address 03, 28 speed steps and an internal
speedline."

The speedline, as far as I can see, can't be reprogrammed on either version, which is an issue. But the fact that you have to hard wire a replacement on the new version is an issue too.

richiy

Good idea. So many have complained about the onboard in the dieisels here and other forums that one company made a lightboard decoder specifically for Bachmann diesels which i suspect has helped Bachmann some. Their diesels are pretty decent. I see this other forums.

richiy

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richiy

Quote from: Len on January 04, 2017, 12:40:30 AM
This is one option: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200945019-BACH-DSL

There are others.

Len

Non sound decoder but a PDF describes how to install the light board decoder.

richiy