4-4-0 Spectrum Locomotive Motor Issue. With Video!

Started by RkyGriz, January 06, 2017, 08:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hey guys. I just received my Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0 locomotive and tender today (01/06/17) and everything is fine except that the motor spins and the engine doesn't move. I only paid $205.00 for this beauty. I would greatly appreciate your advice as to how to repair it (looks like it needs a new drive axle which is $6.75 plus shipping from the parts catalog ), if I should send it back to Bachmann and swallow the $75.00 repair cost, or if I should send it back to the seller. I didn't the parts diagrams included  listed , so doese anybody know where I can find one?
Thanks guys!
Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rvSqvtkjU

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Check out the FAQ, since it is locked I have not been able to update it as I had planned and the pics are still out of order as well, but the basic procedures are there:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19904.0.html

Since the Bachmann axle gear is now available on the axle you can skip that part of the instructions.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_139&products_id=4833

In most cases it is just the axle gear, but it could be others as well, never know til it comes apart.  Since I wrote the FAQ there have been some cases where other gears are bad as well.   If it is other gears you should absolutely call service to see if they can fix it, and for sure you won't be able to fix it unless you can get replacements from NWSL and I have no idea if they have the other gears.

When buying an expensive locomotive on Ebay I have always recommended asking the seller if it is in running condition if they do not specifically say so.
If the seller advertised it as running and it is not you can get your money back and shipping both ways, if advertised as having issues and sold as is with no returns you will have to negotiate with the seller and maybe pay shipping back.   

Good luck,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

RkyGriz

Hi,Bill. Thanks for the info! So, you say that the Bachmann replacement gear/axle is not a good choice for this ? I assume that the gear/axle is the same one that would come in any replacement loco that they would send out. The part you mention is only a gear that must be pressed on to  the shaft. I could probably do this job looking at everything, but an uncertain if that particular gear will last since it looks like it is plastic,too.
I'm currently negotiating with the seller (trainz) to see what they're willing to do. I don't want to send it back, but it looks like that may well be the best,maybe only option of all if it's only going to break again in the near future.
Thank you for the reply, Bill!
Andrew

petertoot

Hi,just to my little bit in,I bought a loco of trainz as well,it had a stripped gear in one gearbox,they refunded the purchase price,I took it apart,sent the pics,very happy with there service,and I think it said on listing,untested,as I live in aussie,I was happy with the outcome,still buy bits from them,happy rails,petertoot 😆😆😆

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,
I can't say if the new axle with gear is or is not a good choice, I only can say we have not had a lot of experience with it.  When  I was using the NWSL gear neither the gear nor the gear already on the axle were available from Bachmann. I have not heard of any issues with the new Bachmann gear already mounted. I will say that if I were doing another replacement today I would go ahead and use the Bachmann axle mount gear and save the extra work.   There is a chance that when fitting the NWSL gear, you might damage it.  So you will have to make a decision based on your skill level and risk.

As for the seller, If they say untested or not tested it should be an immediate red flag that there is usually a problem. Most likely if they said untested they already knew there were issues, because it takes only a few minutes to set a Loco on a test track and at least see if it runs.  If they said untested many potential buyers most likely backed off from bidding and that is why you got the low price.  When a seller says untested "sold as is" and on questioning will not just put it on a test track for you, I always recommend not bidding.   Sellers do a lots of things, like taking metal wheels off of freight cars that normally come with them and replacing them with plastic wheels and just not saying anything while referring to a photo as the description.   When pictures are not clear, or even if they are, I always ask the following questions.  Are there any missing parts?   Does the locomotive run both forward and backwards?  Do all the lights and smoke unit work?   Is there any evidence of damage to the paint and are there any chips or dents on it?

Ebay is a wild and woolly place, but if you are buying a $400 to $800 locomotive it is worth asking the questions even if they say it is new.    If they say new in the box, it still does not mean it runs.   I usually ask, if it is untested, will they take it back if it does not run and refund for shipping both ways.  If the seller does not answer or refuses returns with shipping both ways refunded, just skip it and avoid all the associated hassles of negotiating and or returning.

Bill

RkyGriz

Hi guys. It does say functional in the auction text. I assumed that it meant running condition. I'm still waiting for a reply from them so I'll keep you updated on how things go. Such a pretty loco and tender. It will be a shame if I have to send it back.
Later!
Andrew

Loco Bill Canelos

When you run your pointer over the word "functional" on used items from them, look and see what it says. something like "the condition of this item leads us to believe the item is functional"  doesn't say it  "is"  functional.   To me that is misleading and definitely I would ask them to test it before bidding when they say that, but most folks just see the functional and never run the pointer over the word and realize what they really mean. 

You have a good case and I would either insist they take it back at their expense, or get a good discount from them, if you want to fix it.

RkyGriz

Ah,yes! I see what you mean, Bill. It never occurred to me to actually click on that blue functional bit there in the auction text. I would definitely have had second thoughts if I had realized that you could scroll over it and and have it pop up with that shady, indefinite description of the running condition of this unit.
I was just going over the listing and came across a link to their Ebay store. They promise full satisfaction and offer repair services on the items that they sell !
http://stores.ebay.com/Trainz/About-Trainz.html
I'm kind of leery about sending it back to them for repairs due to shipping time and what if they decide to keep it and just refund my money ? We're also talking 2 weeks round trip ,and then what ever time it takes for the actual repair.
I can have the part here in about a week if I order it from Bachmann. Of course, I get the "fun" of taking it apart and putting it back together, but at least it will give me a chance to get thoroughly acquainted with the loco in case it ever needs servicing again.
We'll see what happens.I probably will not hear from them until Monday.
I'm hoping for the best.
Take care ,Bill and have a great weekend.
Andrew

petertoot

Hi did you contact the seller re the problem,interesting to say how they reply,cheers

RkyGriz

Hi Peter. They replied  a couple of days ago asking for photos and what I would consider a fair price adjustment. I replied to them by sending them the link for the updated video on youtube and I asked them for $40.00 to pay for the part and my time. They then replied: "Dear Andrew,
Thank you for sending the information and video to us. We will get back to you as soon as possible with a resolution! Thank you for your patience!" That was on 01/10. Today is now 01/12 . I'm hoping to hear from them today. I will email them back If i don't hear from them by tomorrow morning. In the interim, I have ordered the drive axle from Bachmann and upgraded the front headlight from the weak, orange colored factory 3mm LED to a brighter, 5mm warm white LED, which looks much better and, judging from the front headlight on a real 4-4-0 locomotive built way back in 1873 (the Virginia & Truckee's  Inyo 4-4-0 locomotive)more realistic.
Otherwise, I'm basically just still waiting for them to resolve this. Soon,hopefully.
Later!
Andrew

RkyGriz

Case resolved. I had to call their 1-866 customer service number today, but the nice lady I spoke to was able to take care of my issue and she did it in a fast,fair, and friendly manner. The three F's of excellent customer service! She refunded the money ($40.00) through Paypal,of course, and I'm now waiting for the money to download back to my bank account.
I'm now eagerly looking forward to the arrival of the new parts I ordered from Bachmann so that I can repair the loco and get it back on the rails again.
Thank you all for your help and support in this and a special tip of the hat( once again ! ) to Loco Bill for the excellent photos and walk through to help me (and everyone else who has this issue!) get this thing fixed and back in service.
I'll be sure to post a video on youtube of it once I'm finished with the repair.
Later!
Andrew