Just got the "Golden Spike" set and I am baffled...

Started by paulharv, January 06, 2017, 11:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulharv

...there are 3 x 5" straights for one side of the oval, and 2 x 5" straights + a 6" turnout for the other...that is 15" on one side and 16" on the other! Plus, the siding is too small to fit an engine without the train crashing into it! Am I missing something?! The provided track does not seem to really make a coherent, properly aligned layout!

(Love everything else about it!)

brokemoto

I looked at the description and photograph on this, the Bachpersonn website.   It reads that there are five pieces of straight, the turnout and the bumper.  The photograph shows a stubby siding that appears too small even for the switcher.  If the turnout does, indeed, measure six inches, it is one inch out of alignment.   The description reads that the turnout is Left Hand.  You could buy a corresponding Right Hand turnout and some additional track to balance it

paulharv

Thanks for your reply, brokemoto, yeah, I clearly need to get more track to be able use this set (beyond the reduced-size oval I have set up now!)

in2tech

Quote from: paulharv on January 08, 2017, 12:20:06 PM
Thanks for your reply, brokemoto, yeah, I clearly need to get more track to be able use this set (beyond the reduced-size oval I have set up now!)

Is this your first DCC train set? Isn't it awesome even with the simple EZ DCC Command System, which I love the simplicity of it myself. Here is a review done in December 2016, and the spur looks big enough for at least the locomotive or a car. Is this what you got?

But the Bachmann video shows a shorter spur piece in their video.

https://youtu.be/1zj8iGZTGN4