Bachmann Turnouts and 44901 EX Command Control Center

Started by lamarager, January 07, 2017, 02:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamarager

I recently bought a Bachmann starter set with the 44901 command control center.  I got it working fine with basic features (e.g. whistle, bell, reverse, etc.).  I then purchased some turnouts on ebay.  These turnouts have green wires that connect to the turnout controller and a red wire with two spade connectors.  There is no place on my command center to attach these connectors.  From other forum topics I gather I need to purchase another controller (e.g. 44212) that has a place to attach accessories (AC).  My question - does this second controller plug into my 44901 command center or do these two controllers operate independently.  In other words, will I have to operate accessories with one controller (44212) and the locomotives with another (44901)?

richiy

Yes. That is normal.
The EZ Command does not have connections to control a wire connected turnout.

The 44212 needs the DC speed controller for wire connected turnouts. I just looked at the manual. Many turnouts in other brands use the same twin coil arraignment.
Below is the manual.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/GeneralEZ-TrackInstructions.pdf

Take time to look through all the links in the Bachmann forums. There is a lot of useful info including EZ Command DCC info about the controller and decoders, replacements, repair, loco diagrams, manuals.

The EZ Command can program the loco number but cannot change CV values or reset the decoder to factory specs if it goes bonkers.
Have fun.

richiy

Flare

FYI, Bachmann also makes DCC-controlled turnouts if you would prefer not to use a second controller.

richiy

I don't have this system but I believe you need the directional control box, SM for using these turnouts.
You can also use the power pack with the EZ Command set to power one DC loco but switch off a siding when not using the DC only loco. In the manual I believe.
The EZ Command usually limits you to one or two locos.

Rich

tiebreaker

Quote from: lamarager on January 07, 2017, 02:31:59 PM
I recently bought a Bachmann starter set with the 44901 command control center.  I got it working fine with basic features (e.g. whistle, bell, reverse, etc.).  I then purchased some turnouts on ebay.  These turnouts have green wires that connect to the turnout controller and a red wire with two spade connectors.  There is no place on my command center to attach these connectors.  From other forum topics I gather I need to purchase another controller (e.g. 44212) that has a place to attach accessories (AC).  My question - does this second controller plug into my 44901 command center or do these two controllers operate independently.  In other words, will I have to operate accessories with one controller (44212) and the locomotives with another (44901)?

You can use any 12v power pack (wall-wart) to power your turnout's or like the other's stated you cab purchase the dc controller to operate them.
No the second controller does not plug into the EZ Command.
Unless you purchase DCC controlled turnouts (the one's with a decoder to operate) any brand turnout will need a separate power supply to operate them. Decoder equipped turnout's are the only one's able to be operated through a DCC controller.

jbrock27

Instead of "wal-warts" I suggest buying a used or new DC power pack that has AC terminals to power your non-DCC turnouts.  No guess work involved as when using wal-warts to figure out if they provide the right type and amount of voltage.  The KISS principle.  Hook up to the AC terminals.  These packs can be found all over Ebay for cheap.  Any old Bachmann, TYCO, Model Power, Life Like or AHM working pack for example will do.  If you want to step up in class, get a MRC power pack, they last practically forever, new or used.  I would also relegate one power source to your switches/turnouts, this way, when you "snap" them from divergent to through route, you don't dim the lights on other scenery/accessories like house lights or street lamps.

I hope this helps.  :)   
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

I use one of these for my layout's 12V accessory supply.

http://sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=163

Look around....they can be found cheap enough. Cut the cigarette lighter adapter off the end and wire it up.

Sid

tiebreaker

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 08, 2017, 11:01:47 AM
I use one of these for my layout's 12V accessory supply.

http://sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=163

Look around....they can be found cheap enough. Cut the cigarette lighter adapter off the end and wire it up.

Sid

Would this not be comparable to a wall-wart? which you can find easily and usually free?

I will add that using a separate dc power pack from a train set or as jbrock suggested MRC, you can control the lights for a great effect. I like to dim mine where there is a soft glow coming thru the windows. For my turnouts/switches I use an old wall-wart.

lamarager

WoundedBear

Quote from: tiebreaker on January 08, 2017, 11:06:58 AM

Would this not be comparable to a wall-wart? which you can find easily and usually free?

I will add that using a separate dc power pack from a train set or as jbrock suggested MRC, you can control the lights for a great effect. I like to dim mine where there is a soft glow coming thru the windows. For my turnouts/switches I use an old wall-wart.

I tend to not take a niggardly approach to my modelling. If I need something for the layout.....I go get it and usually try to get the best solution I can find. That doesn't mean I blow money without thought. This thing is under 20 bucks, even in Canada. Put a rheostat on it for your lighting circuit.....full 12V for everything else. It is tucked away under my layout and I never have to worry about it melting down, like so many of these smaller packs can do if overloaded.

This power supply is in NO WAY comparable to a wall wart.  I don't know of many wall warts that can supply almost 6 amps.

Sid

jbrock27

using a separate dc power pack from a train set or as jbrock suggested MRC, you can control the lights for a great effect. I like to dim mine where there is a soft glow coming thru the windows.

Good point.  I use one of those old Bachmann brown power packs for this purpose.  Just turn the control knob to the amount of voltage you want output.

...a wall-wart? which you can find easily and usually free?

IDK, doesn't someone have to have paid for it somewhere along the way, even if you are using one from a busted power tool or such?

Sid, how much does one of those converters run, Canadian ?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

Now children - let's keep it focused on model railroads and play nice...🙄