News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann EZ DCC Command System

Started by in2tech, January 08, 2017, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

in2tech

First off I am only running 2 locomotives on my layout and no switches, lights, or any power accessories of any kind through the Bachmann EZ DCC Command System. They are Bachmann F7 locomotives only, 2 of them. How many can I run on this DCC system. I am wanting to order 2 more Bachmann F7 locomotives. Would it power all 4 at one time? I have two 2 x 4 modules creating an L shape for my layout.

And you can't program the power output on the Bachmann EZ DCC Command System right?  By that I mean program the throttle for use by young humans. So if they crank it up it won't go to actual FULL power and the locomotives go flying :)

Thanks!

I don't want to over power the EZ DCC Command System, and cause it to stop working or to cause my locomotives to burn up. Either one of them the locomotives or the DCC system.

Flare

I don't think it's a good idea to run more than two locomotives at a time with just the E-Z Command unit.

Most DCC locomotives draw a maximum of 1 to 1.5 amps, and the power supply for the E-Z Command unit is rated at at just 1 amp.

Bachmann sells a booster unit that will add an additional 5 amps to your layout: http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=264_274&products_id=1823

For your second question, Bachmann's E-Z Command system only runs trains, it can't program them.  The easiest-looking programmer I've found is the SPROG line.  They connect a programming track to a PC or laptop through a USB port and the software has a point-and-click interface.

http://sprog.us.com/sprog.html

gatrhumpy

You can run 4 locomotives at the same time, but no more. I've safely run four sound equipped locomotives at the same time with the Bachmann system, and they draw more current than a regular DCC equipped locomotive.

in2tech

Quote from: gatrhumpy on January 08, 2017, 09:19:31 AM
You can run 4 locomotives at the same time, but no more. I've safely run four sound equipped locomotives at the same time with the Bachmann system, and they draw more current than a regular DCC equipped locomotive.

Your using the EZ DCC Command System NOT the Dynamis right. Actually the chances of all 4 running at one time would be rare if at all because of my layout. Or the locomotives just sitting on the layout are drawing maximum current? Chances are I would have maybe 2 locomotives running and the other 2 on a yard or spur, just sitting waiting to be used. Does this matter? Does this make sense?

Flare

Decoders draw power even if the locomotive is sitting idle.

gatrhumpy

in2tech

So it would be safe to run all 4 Bachmann F7 locomotive's on my layout and not fry anything? I would like to have 4 on my layout and would like to run all 4 of them. If that is possible?

And the Bachmann EZ DCC Command System I had was given to me by someone that upgraded and he stated it came with an HO kit and has been working fine since last Fall running 2 Bachmann F7 locomotives. Don't know if the HO is different in any way?

Just making sure they will all work and I won't burn anything up. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks again for your help!