News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trying to better undertand EZ Track

Started by lkobus, January 11, 2017, 03:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkobus

I'm planning a layout and have a lot of EZ Track and accessories, as well as code 83 rail, Nickel Silver, HO track.  What code rail is used in EZ Track and is there a way to combine the two obviously different styles of track? 

Flare

E-Z Track is Code 100, you can use what are called 'Transition Joiners' to match it with code 83 along with some cork roadbed.

Len

EZ-Track uses Code 100 rail. To combine it with Code 83 you pretty much have two options. The easiest is to use what's call a 'Transition Rail Joiner', that slides onto both rails. The other is to mash one side of a Code 100 joiner flat after placing it on the Code 100 rail. Set the Code 83 rail on top of it, then solder it in place. Either way, you'll have to put some type of roadbed under the Code 83 track so it lines up with the EZ-Track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

If you're not using roadbed under the code 83, you could use some kind a ramp to bring it up the level of the EZ Track.
Feel like a Mogul.

richiy

Quote from: Len on January 11, 2017, 03:22:26 PM
EZ-Track uses Code 100 rail. To combine it with Code 83 you pretty much have two options. The easiest is to use what's call a 'Transition Rail Joiner', that slides onto both rails. The other is to mash one side of a Code 100 joiner flat after placing it on the Code 100 rail. Set the Code 83 rail on top of it, then solder it in place. Either way, you'll have to put some type of roadbed under the Code 83 track so it lines up with the EZ-Track.

Len

Walther's sells Code 100 to Code 83 transition track. I just checked the site.

richiy

Flare

Quote from: richiy on January 11, 2017, 06:52:40 PM
Quote from: Len on January 11, 2017, 03:22:26 PM

Len

Walther's sells Code 100 to Code 83 transition track. I just checked the site.

richiy

Wow, that's cool!

https://www.walthers.com/code-83-nickel-silver-transition-track-code-100-to-code-83

lkobus

Thanks, everyone.  This is really helpful.  I have a lot of Code 83 track and fancy turnouts, as well as a lot of EZ Track turnouts and custom tracks.  This will help me build an even better layout economically. I can run Code 83 standard track for my main lines and use the EZ Track to build out spurs. :D

Hunt

An aside,   ---

Ikobus,
It may not matter to you, but in case you have not taken it into consideration - the Bachmann HO E-Z Track roadbed, except for some mainline track for large locomotives, is way too high and wide for yards, sidings, spurs, etc.  As you add true to scale structures in areas not on mainline, the track roadbed out of scale size will stick out. You can compensate by raising the ground grade thus reducing the height and spread tp hide most of the of the roadbed but that can be expensive and add more weight than you want on the layout support structure.  Look at photos of yards, sidings and area around turntable.