How do I run 2 trains on one track?

Started by Erie Railroad Guy, January 10, 2017, 05:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erie Railroad Guy

Hello I have 2 trains I want to run on the same track.  My layout consists of the Bachmann E-Z track and I have 2 Bachmann dial speed controllers.  If I would need to buy anything else to do this please let me know.  Thank You.

WoundedBear

You need to google Block Control Wiring for DC Layouts. There are entire books written on the subject.....lol.

Sid

Flare

Another option would be converting to DCC.  (Digital Command Control)

With DCC you can have two (or more) locomotives on the same track travel in different directions at different speeds using just one controller without separating the layout into power districts.

It's more expensive than using block wiring and stuff on large analog operations, but you don't need to speed match or flip switches as the train moves either.  ;)

Hunt

Your time will be better spent researching DCC – Digital Command Control
and considering using Bluetooth Smart Train Control instead of DCC.

Len

QuoteHow do I run 2 trains on one track?

Just like the prototype, very carefully.

Nice as DCC is, it will not prevent a "cornfield meet" if you don't pay attention.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Quote from: Flare on January 10, 2017, 06:50:53 PM
Another option would be converting to DCC.  (Digital Command Control)
With DCC you can have two (or more) locomotives on the same track travel in different directions at different speeds using just one controller without separating the layout into power districts.
"...on the same track travel in different directions...". Won't they meet head on at some point?
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 11, 2017, 04:15:07 PM
Quote from: Flare on January 10, 2017, 06:50:53 PM
Another option would be converting to DCC.  (Digital Command Control)
"...on the same track travel in different directions...". Won't they meet head on at some point?

Not if they start in the middle of an end-to-end layout.  :P

I was describing a scene from a DCC demonstration video I saw years ago.

richiy

Quote from: Erie Railroad Guy on January 10, 2017, 05:38:06 PM
Hello I have 2 trains I want to run on the same track.  My layout consists of the Bachmann E-Z track and I have 2 Bachmann dial speed controllers.  If I would need to buy anything else to do this please let me know.  Thank You.

I am sure you know, you can only use one DC power pack at a time on the same track.
Both locos will not run at the same speed but you can do it.

As was said, switch to DCC or Bluetooth. Bachmann sells both.

Bachmann shows all the manuals here but if new to the DCC and Bluetooth, you will need to do a lot of research. Don't jump blindly.

Converting your locos might be an issue.

What scale and what locomotives? I am figuring HO or N scale.

richiy