News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Switch Derailing

Started by lamarager, January 11, 2017, 05:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamarager

OK, now I have installed my turnouts and find that the loco frequently derails on it.  I can't see anything wrong.  Any advice?

richiy

Quote from: lamarager on January 11, 2017, 05:51:11 PM
OK, now I have installed my turnouts and find that the loco frequently derails on it.  I can't see anything wrong.  Any advice?

One, some or all the turnouts?

You did say turnouts.

richiy

lamarager

tiebreaker

Numbered turnouts or standard turnout? Which type of loco, steam or diesel? which model?

lamarager

I am new to this.  I will research and be back tomorrow.  Thanks

tiebreaker

Research is good but if you answer the questions you may not have to research far.

rogertra

Personally I use No. 6 switches as a minimum.  I find anything less looks wrong.  I also run a mix of B-B diesels and steam from 0-6-0 switchers through 2-10-2 freight engines.  A No. 6 switch can handle all of these.  I also use code code 83 Atlas Super Switches for their metal frogs and their looks although I do use code 100 switches and track in hidden staging.

Roger T.

lamarager

Can't find loco model number.  maybe H643X-IA001.

Turnouts standard ez trac.

lamarager

ebtnut

Turnout derailing is almost always the result of one of two things - either the point blade is not seated completely against the stock rail, or one or more wheel sets is out of guage.  You need an NMRA Standards gauge to check for wheel gauge issues. 

lamarager

I have been away for several days (minor surgery) and my derail problem has not fixed itself.  Per ebtnut's posting, I checked the point blade seating and it looks OK.  I purchased a gauge and found that the wheel sets are fine.  However, I checked the flangeway width (between the frog and the wing?) and it appears to be too wide i.e. the middle "tab" on the gauge fits easily between the frog and the wing.  I have Bachmann turnouts and the flangeway is a solid piece of plastic that cannot be adjusted.  All four turnouts have this problem and I have trouble believing that this could be so on a Bachmann product.  What am I doing wrong?

ZeldaTheSwordsman

What locomotive are you using? I'm surprised no-one's asked that yet
Cautiously making my return

lamarager

Actually tiebreaker did ask that and I replied "Can't find loco model number.  maybe H643X-ISO001."  Markings on the box were #00826 and K131105.  Don't know if that means anything.  It came in a beginner set and has Santa Fe painted on it.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Model number isn't as important as description. How long is it, how many wheels, general shape.
Cautiously making my return

tiebreaker

Appears this may be your set correct?
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_269_270&products_id=1805
I am guessing you have standard turnouts with the plastic frog. That loco should navigate those turnouts easily. I would check your trip pin (hanging hose under coupler) and make sure it is not hitting the frog causing it to derail. If it is then I would suggest a coupler height gauge and a pair of these to bend them up.
http://www.micromark.com/trip-pin-bending-plier-n-scale,7583.html
If you have a video camera you could place it at the turnout and watch in slow motion to see what is actually happening.
Keep us posted.