DCC & Sound for Acela Loco "Not the HHP Loco"

Started by HoModeler, January 14, 2017, 08:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoModeler

Hello Everyone.... I have a slight problem / issue Friday afternoon my dad came over & my neighbor for an operating session on my layout. MY dad has an Acela Set he picked up a long time ago from a Train Show that no longer is run "maybe some of you old timers heard of it" The Broken Rail Train show held @ Goodman Campus Rauch Field house on Lehigh U in Bethlehem PA I Believe it only lasted 2 years.

Anyways My Dad loves to run his Acela when he comes for operating sessions & about 3 years ago I took my dads Loco to get a Sound & DCC decoder installed I took it to a HS that has closed up. I Paid the guy $ 200.00 up front to install the Decoder & did not get the Loco back for another 6 weeks & constant messages left with the guy. Well to find out the Loco only has a Idling sound to it No throttle up no nothing else just a very faint horn. That night I took the Loco to a different HS & the Train Tech popped off the shell & said he did not recognize the Decoder Brand & asked who did the install I stated the guys name & the guy said to me I got Robbed Blind & the guy was a CON-MAN.. & went on to say wile working @ the HS he stole many clients Locos took out the good stuff & would re install less quality grade stuff. 1 reason that HS closed down... He also said that guy is under court orders he can not go to any Train Show or inside any Train show within the courts limits... GREAT Now what.

The Train Tech suggested I got on hear & to ask what if any DCC sound decoder can be used he did not have an answer for a replacement. He did say to try TCS WOW decoders.. Can anyone help me find a good replacement sound decoder....

Len

Dallee makes sound decoders for electric locomotives: https://www.dallee.com/HiLine-Electric-Sound-Full-Featured-Sound-System-1520

I would suggest contacting them directly to see if they have anything specific to the Acela 'Power Car'.  They can be contacted at info@dallee.com or called at (717) 661-7041.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

richiy

A fellow in the trains.com forum put a TGV LokSound decoder in his Acela Express set and its running off live catenary. He has a video on You Tube. LokSound has very good sound decoder.
I am not familiar with sound for electric locos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy5Gy7BGexw

He posted in the Model Railroader, General Discussion forum but that was in 2010.

richiy

HoModeler

Thanks guys for the info I will be following up with the contact info you guys provided after the MLK Holiday.