What length couplers do passenger cars use?

Started by Flare, January 17, 2017, 03:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flare

I've acquired some older passenger cars that have Mark I couplers and I'd like to upgrade them to Mark IIs.  My LHS closed down years ago so I can't compare the lengths in-person without driving for an hour in light traffic.

I know I need to get over shank couplers, but what length will match the originals?

Thank you in advance.

pjf

I have Denver & Rio Grande and Pennsylvania, both have center shank medium couplers.
Cheers, pjf
Peter

John Tumolo

All 10 of my Bachmann passenger cars came from the factory with medium over shank couplers.  The direct replacement E-Z Mate Mark II from Bachmann is their number 78022.  As an aside, 7 of those 10 now have replacement bodies from Deerfield River Laser, and I just found it easier to replace the original "springless" couplers with the updated versions.  The new ones don't get "stuck" like the old ones.  If you happen to be running a Bachmann Forney around 18" curves, you might want to try the over shank LONG version, as it gives a bit more play in between the locomotive and the car and reduces the chance of the car being shoved off the rails.  Best of luck to you.

John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

Flare

That's what I was thinking.

The World's Greatest Hobby On Tour is coming to my area this weekend, I'll see if I can get a deal there.