News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Motive Power Option

Started by ebtnut, November 29, 2007, 01:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

MMI, the die-cast loco line from Precision Scale, has finally shipped the new C-19 2-8-0.  It available in both On3 and On30.  It is a beautiful model and at about $450 street price, not too far out of reach.  It is DCC ready.  They have had a few minor QC problems--mine had one tender truck turned around, so it shorted out and wouldn't run.  Some have had a couple of the tender wheelsets with slightly tight gauge.  Once I got the truck corrected, mine runs like a watch.  It has working headlight, class lights, cab light, and back-up light.  Several of the prototypes are still around, and still running--two at Knott's Berry Farm in California, and one at the Colorado RR Museum in Golden.  The EBT had a copy, which later ran on the Ohio River and Western.

John Tumolo

As a new fan to the EBT I was wondering-are there any of the 2-8-2 On30 Baldwin locomotives out there in Rio Grande colors and design close to any of the EBT Mikes?  Would it be an easy change to EBT style?  Just wondering.......I already know it's going to look odd with WW & F and SR &RL running along with EBT, but it's MY railroad.  John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

Charlie Mutschler

John, I'm sorry, but the D&RGW 2-8-2s are all quite different from the EBT locomotives.  The most obvious difference is the framing.  The EBT locomotives were all inside framed, and the D&RGW K's were all outside framed.  So just relettering it may or may not be sufficient for you. 

I don't know - if the interest in On30 as an inexpensive alternative to On3 continues to be as popular as it has been, some manufacturer might opt to do the EBT 2-8-2's in On30, and possibly even On3.  I really have no knowledge, just speculating, mind you. 

Happy modeling.
Charlie
-30-

ebtnut

John:  If you are interested in going On3, keep your eye out on the e-bay and train show market.  Sunset did the heavy Mike with the Southern valve gear many years ago.  It was available RTR, and also as a kit (though I would not go for the latter unless you've had extensive experience in brass building).  Back in the late '80's, Hallmark brought in models of both Nos. 14 and 15, the medium Mikes.  They are beautiful models--run like watches.  I don't really anticipate anyone doing the EBT Mikes in On30. They are big locos for narrow gauge, and I think would look strange on 30" gauge wheels.   Note this, though.  For big On3 locos, you are going to need at least 40" minimum radius.  Don't know what the min. radius is for the MMI loco in On30.  I'm sure the On3 version will handle 36".