News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann plastic truck pins

Started by ZTatZAU, January 17, 2017, 04:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZTatZAU

Hello all,

I am trying to find 8-10 plastic truck pins to repair a some of my old (circa 1980's) Bachmann rail cars.  I know that I can fill, drill, and tap the existing chassis holes and replace the plastic pins with screws, and may do so one day, but at this point, I would prefer to stay with the original plastic pins.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have a handful of the plastic pins on hand, perhaps after converting to screws, and wouldn't mind parting with them.

Please PM if you can help!

ZT

Len

Walthers still has some of the old Con-Cor truck mounting pins available: https://www.walthers.com/passenger-car-truck-pins-pkg-10-con-cor which might work.

Con-Cor has discontinued them and gone to screw mountings, like just about everyone else these days. So once whatever's on the shelves "out there" are gone, they're gone for good.

The other, more expensive, option is order replacement trucks that come with the pins:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_666&products_id=5542&zenid=951m8fvmsbetidtr1aejfhuec6

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Z, can I ask why your prefer to stay with the plastic pins?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ZTatZAU

Thanks Len! I appreciate your reply and the info you provided.  I didn't see any specs or dimensions for the pins on the Walthers site but I'll try to talk with them tomorrow to see if they can provide any additional info as to whether they may work.

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 17, 2017, 06:31:30 PM
Z, can I ask why your prefer to stay with the plastic pins?

Jbrock27,  For now, it's just a bit less hassle, I guess; simply replace the missing pins and get the cars rolling again.

ZT

jbrock27

I would be interested to learn how you made out.

Quote from: ZTatZAU on January 17, 2017, 11:23:56 PM
it's just a bit less hassle, I guess; simply replace the missing pins and get the cars rolling again.

ZT

Aaaahhhh, but there is the rub as I see it-trucks mounted on pins don't pivot and swivel as well as trucks mounted on screws; they're not secured as well; there is no adjustments that can be made to plastic pin mounted trucks; plastic pin mounted trucks usually equates to truck mounted couplers as well-all of these things in my book create even greater "hassles".
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ckrails

ZT,

If you haven't yet tried upgrading an older piece of rolling stock to NMRA standards, I think it's a fun hour-long project and suggest you give a try (at least once).  You can replace the trucks and couplers and add some weight that will make your rolling stock look, sound and run much better.  The web has plenty of good videos on how to do this.

CK

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On