News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Conflict

Started by glennhazel, January 09, 2017, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennhazel

I installed an new HO 44 ton DCC chassis in a kit bashed rail car of a friend. I ran it on my test track using EZ Command. I did not change the default address. On the owner's NCE powered layout it ran almost a total lap of maybe 60+ feet before failing. I used the default address of 3.

After not being able to get command, I tried to reprogram the engine without success. I get the "Cannot read CV's". I tried several times using different NCE programing routines.Yet when I brought the engine home to my test track, it runs.

Does any one have any ideas as to the cause of this dilemma?

Does the EZ Command system set any parameters even without making changes. Another friend runs Bachmann On30 engines using NCE without a problem. But he starts them out on the NCE system.

I am not knocking NCE, however I have incurred this problem with other brands of engines/decoders that have been tested on my EZ Command system then moved to an NCE layout. Including NCE decoders. All prompt the  "Cannot read CV's" error.

Glenn

Hunt

An aside --- just curious,

Did you acquire the E-Z Command Control Center you are using in a Bachmann trainset or was it a separate purchase?

Does the E-Z Command Control Center have an power On/Off power on the underside?

Hunt

One more question.
You friend is using a NCE DCC system (what one) or perhaps it is a Digitrax Zephyr?

richiy

I have the NCE Power Cab and club has the NCE five amp power pro.

Program track reset my 44 ton just fine.

The EZ command can only change the loco number. As you know, it cannot reset a decoder.

richiy

kewatin

re nec powercab system
you must remember that bachmann uses lenz decoders in most of their dcc trains other than the sound value ones which are equipped with sound traxx. my nce unit does not read the basic lenz decoder  values other than to program short or long address. with other decoders ,yes i can read &write or change cv values. my suggestion to you is to reset the decoder back to factory reset  cv 8 and then program short or long address with the nce powercab. surely the fellow that has the nce controlled layout you prog the loco for can do that or is he running every thing on a factory default address of 3. hope this helps in resolving issues with the nce  system.as for the bachmann ez command system i can't comment as i jumped from dc to dcc yrs back with the nce system.regards&later KEWATIN

glennhazel

I reported earlier that the rail car quit running on an NCE layout, but would run on my EZ Command.

Since then I was out and about and saw a hobby store I hadn't seen before. the store was 50/50 3 rail and R/C with a dash of rocketry and models thrown in.

On the end of a aisle was a set of bargain shelves. On the shelf was used NCE Power Cab with a bargain price of $50. I asked the clerk if it worked. He had no way of testing it. They only sold O-gauge. I also asked about the manual which was not in the box.

He said, "Tell you what, take it as is and I'll sell it to you for $25, no returns."

I plugged the unit in and followed the instructions, the booklet was in the bottom of the box. I set the rail car on the test track and the headlight came on. I opened the throttle and the railcar moved. The address was 3.

I dared change the address using the Program Tack mode and the STD option. I made the short address 3 and the long address 999. They worked. I have not tried it on EZ Command.

BTW the fellow who owns the NCE layout can change addresses and make a consist. Beyond that he is lost.

Glenn

Ken G Price

Great find and a great buy. :D

Next is to set the address as to what is on the engine.

And now you can learn to be the NCE expert! ;D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

kewatin

glen nhazel you got an excellent buy.is it the NCE powercab? if so they retail for about $150 you can get a manual  from them online at nce.com. also you want to make sure it has the latest chip that lets you program &store 6 loco s you can also phone them for customer service &if not busy will help you sort out any issues. also on you tube are many tutorials.i am sure you will enjoy your nce product.
regards&later KEWATIN

richiy

I have had the Power Cab for some years. Following the manual is easy.
You can buy the USB adapter to use with a PC and JMRI.

Works fine with Bachmann on board DCC and DCC with sound.

https://tonystrains.com/17030/

richiy

Hunt

Glenn,
You may encounter some system bugs if the Power Cab you purchased does not have the latest firmware version 1.65B installed.