News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track Rails

Started by Nightwing, January 17, 2017, 01:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightwing

Has anyone successfully removed the rails from Bachmann EZ Track?  I don't mean pull the rails and ties up, I just need to remove and replace the rails from a crossing for a project.  I believe they are just held very snugly in the plastic ties.  I think they should pull out from the end, at least that is what I am hoping.

Flare

Yes, I've done that.  (Though I was trying to remove just the joiner at the end) and I believe I was able to slide the rail back in place afterward too.

Not sure how well that would work on a cross-track though.

Jhanecker2

To  Nightwing  :  Since  crossings  have to be electrically  insulated from each direction of travel   and wired around to have continuity in the same direction ,  I doubt you will  be  able to  remove the  rails from the crossing  .  Doing so would destroy the crossing electrically .    Everything can be disassembled  but restoring
it to be functional  is a totally  different  problem . John2.

Nightwing

The Bachmann crossing has a humongous plastic frog in the center and it is not electrified.  That is why the short locos stumble and stall because they run out of juice and the short wheelbase can't span the hot rails.

What I am going to do is remove the center section of the Bachmann crossing and lay in the complete Shinohara crossing.  It will receive juice from the rail connectors  The new crossing is beautifully made.  The only problem is overall, it is 6 1/2" shorter than the Bachmann.

So, right now, I am setting up a test bed to determine if the Shinohara crossing will perform as expected.  I want to do this before I cut up the original Bachmann.  I took two 9" sections of EZ-Track and pulled the rails out.  Then, I mated them bottom to bottom and spot glued them together with CA.  I will then cut 3 1/4" off each end, split them apart and I will have 4 pieces, 3 1/4" long.  Next, shortened rails will be reinstalled and they will be connected to the ends of the new crossing and be a drop in replacement.  I may have to but some blocking under the center to avoid sagging when the train goes over.

Now, if this works, I will pull the rails off the Bachmann crossing, cut the tie connections at 3 1/4" from each end and remove the center rails and frog, leaving  the center of the roadbed open.  The Shinohara crossing has different tie spacing and angles, so it won't fit in the footprint of the original tie strip.  I will measure how deep the new crossing must sit to line up with the end rails.  It may only take a few passes with a sanding block or file, but if needed, I will set it up in my milling machine and machine a pocket as needed.

In my mind, this will work and I will have maintained the EZ-Track roadbed.  I will install the new crossing with appropriate connectors and push the shortened rails back to connect.  A few drops of CA should keep the new center section in place.

Lots of work, but if you aren't cutting up your layout, you ain't railroadin'!

Next project is to marry two new Atlas turnouts to the Bachmann turnout roadbeds.  I think that will be a bit easier.  I will keep you posted.