News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Magnetic couplers

Started by Telleb, January 24, 2017, 09:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telleb

I just installed Bachman's magnetic activated couples on a McKinley Explorer set. How do they work? They will not "close" and the cars do not couple. Also, they are loose in the gear box. Is there any way to tighten them up?

TJ

I thought McHenry Couplers were from horizon hobby / ATHEARN .

TJ

plas man

all Bachmann new rolling stock/cars (may be not train sets) are fitted with EZ magnetic couplers , if you can have a look to see how they should be fitted ?
some are held with a push pin and others with a tiny screw to the coupler box/mount.
I have fitted them to my 6 McKinley cars , also of note they work with Kato magnets - I have not tried Bachmann magnets.

Telleb

This is an older M.K. Explorer set.  After removing the Rapidos and the spring, all there is left in the box is a  plastic pin. Do I need to use the spring? I purchased quite a few of them these and none came with instructions. Do they have to pass over a magnet in order to close? I thought the magnet was for uncoupling? Thank you.

spookshow

You don't need a spring inside the coupler pocket. The E-Z Mates have little plastic "whiskers" on either side of the shank that serve that purpose -

-Mark

Telleb

Thanks Mark. There is no screw or push pin. I put the coupler in the coupler but x and the the whole assembly clips into the truck. My big problem is that they won't couple. I put a Bachman magnet under the track. Didn't help.

Len

Sound like the springs on the side of the coupler that keep the knuckle closed may be missing.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

spookshow

Are you trying to use these new couplers to replace truck-mounted couplers? I don't think that's going to work. AFAIK, E-Z Mates are strictly body-mounts.

Telleb

Yes, the little springs are the and Yes, I have them mounted to the truck. How would that keep them from operating? I guess I'll try to body mount them. To do that I have to cut part of the truck off. I hope they work after this doing that. Bachman should have supplied instructions. The screws or push pins also. Didn't have this problem with other couplers. Wish I stuck with them. I'll let you know how to things come out. Thank you for your input.