News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My new GP 7 unit does not power up

Started by bandy32, January 21, 2017, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandy32

Hello. I just received a new GP 7 by mail from a reliable Hobby Shop. It says that it can run with DCC or just DC. I do not have DCC, but have regular DC. I put it onthe track last night, and it did not power up the motor.For a power source, I was using an MRC Throttlepack 500 and turned it to have the dial up, approxiimatedly 6 volts. We use this same soucre for two rail O Scale and it can power an older All Nations F3 unit, se we know the power is adequate. Instead, the lights went on both front and rear and they flashed  9 times, then rested, then flashed 9 times, then rested. This repeated to 9 to 10 flashes for a couple of minutes. We increased the voltage to full throttle, but same result. We tried changing the direction, but same result. When I turned off the power, I heard a faint crackle inthe speaker inside of the unit. Is this normal, or is there a way to get this to work. I really like the locomotive as it is in the Rock Island 1956 colors, and difficult to find elsewhere. Thank you.

Hunt

Assuming your GP7 is a DCC Sound Value version

Check for something binding the motor.

Error 9 - Over temperature fault -- An over-temperature fault indicates the core temperature of the decoder has exceeded safe limits. When this error occurs, motor control and sound will be shut off and the error code will continue to flash until the temperature has fallen back to a safe level. An Over-temperature fault is usually due to inadequate ventilation or using a motor load that exceeds the decoder's rating.

Also the MRC Throttlepack 500 and decoder may not be compatible. Contact Bachmann Service dept.

Caveat from SoundTraxx the manufacturer of the Sound Value decoder. The decoder will work best in analog mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power. Older rheostat style power packs and pulse power packs will result in erratic and unreliable operation and should not be used with the Tsunami sound decoder. If your power pack provides a Pulse power switch, leave it in the 'Off' position.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on January 21, 2017, 12:00:43 PM

Also the MRC Throttlepack 500 and decoder may not be compatible. Contact Bachmann Service dept.

Caveat from SoundTraxx the manufacturer of the Sound Value decoder. The decoder will work best in analog mode when using a high quality, electronically regulated power pack, preferably one that supplies smooth, filtered DC power. Older rheostat style power packs and pulse power packs will result in erratic and unreliable operation and should not be used with the Tsunami sound decoder. If your power pack provides a Pulse power switch, leave it in the 'Off' position.

BTW - The Sound Value is not a Tsunami decoder nevertheless the caveat is applicable.

Len

The old MRC 500 was one of the early "Pulse Power" power packs, with no way to turn it off. Note the second bullet point of it's features on the box:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bandy32

Thank you all for the input. I do have a switch on my MRC Throttlepack 500 to go to Pulse Power, and to go out of it. It is a slide switch at the top of the switches. I have also used this same pack with other Bachmann locomotives, most recently with the RS 3, with no problem. I have also used it with Atlas O Dash 8 unit (2 rail DC) with the same type of set up with no problem. I suspect this to be a programming issue. I do have  anewer pack to try. I sill check and advise. SB