News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound in Richmond American 4-4-0

Started by Nonesuch River, January 21, 2017, 12:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nonesuch River

Hi, All -
   I have a couple of Spectrum Modern American 4-4-0s that I love, but I 'd like to put a sound decoder and speaker in each of them.  There is a largish printed-circuit board taking up much of the space in the tender.  Is this something I can detach from its supports to make room underneath for the speaker, with the new DCC decoder above the board.  My concern is that the board might put out enough heat to destroy something if the speaker or decoder are too close.

Thanks!

richiy

I did that some years ago with a SoundTraxx Micro 750 decoder and a 28mm speaker. Removed the PC board and installed a 1k, 1.4 watt resistor for the loco LED. No problems ever.
Below is what SoundTraxx recommends for a decoder now. The Micro is at least ten years old and had overheat issues  I never experienced any.
The decoders are shrink wrapped and can be right next to the speaker.
The tender shell makes a decent baffle.
Worked good in the 4-6-0 also.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step2.php?s=ho

The Bach-Man would recommend SoundTraxx.

richiy

Nonesuch River

Hi, Richiy -
   Thanks for the quick and informative response.  I've got regular Tsunamis, but boy do they sound sweet.  I'd just rather they were in the tender than in a gondola trailing behind ...

Is there information somewhere as to which wire is the headlight that needs the resistor?  My recollection is that the wires from the loco are all black and that the wires on the decoder don't necessarily follow the DCC convention.

richiy

Glad to help. Been retired ten years and plenty of time.
The PC board is labeled. Keep track of wires.
I used an ohm meter.
Two two pin connector is driver pickups.
The four pin, two are motor leads and two headlight.
The motor leads with show under a hundred ohms.
The head light, max resistance. You cannot use an ohm meter to check an LED. Use a 9 volt battery and 1k resistor.
It has been at least seven years and I think the LED polarity was indicated on the PC board.
If you connect and no light, you might have swapped the leads. Does happen and no damage if you used a resistor.
Again, maintain track of wires.
If you inadvertently swap the driver pickup wires, the DCC system will be shorted out. Systems have their own protection. Been there, done that. Both issues.

It was my first total swap.

richiy

richiy

You can go to the TCS decoder site and see your loco and tender and conversion details. Not at all difficult.,

richiy