News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Start voltage and speed for 2-8-4

Started by bnoem1, January 21, 2017, 05:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnoem1

I recently lost programming for my 2-8-4; actually just the address and some other settings.  I'm using a Digitrax DCS 100 command station, DT402D Throttle and the Decoder Pro programming software.  My problem is that I can't get the loco to start at a very slow speed.  The throttle display indicates that the decoder is recognized as a 14 step decoder.  The Decoder Pro doesn't recognize the decoder and when I enter changes and write the changes it indicates an error programming the decoder.  So, two questions:
1) is it possible to reset the decoder to it's "as shipped" CV values?
2) can anyone suggest how to get it back to the 28/128 speed step mode?

Thanks.

Hunt

The Bachmann 2-8-4 Berkshire is factory equipped with a SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value decoder.

Resetting the sound decoder CVs to their factory default value is a two-step procedure.

1)  Program CV 8 to 8
   2)  Cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and back on

After about six-seconds upon restoring power the headlight and backup light will blink simultaneously 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset. However, if sound or lights come on immediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not successfully reset. Repeat the two-step procedure.

Contact Digitrax --the folks at Bachmann do not like this Board being used for Digitrax DCC system programming instructions.

Hunt

Hint ---  ;)

The Digitrax DCS100 cannot reliably program the Sound Value decoder using the programming track.

Ops Mode programming requires using the decoder's active address, which now is not known.

Use address 00,  Ops Mode programming and the above reset procedure

Hunt

WARNING – Although using Ops Mode programming, address 00 will change all decoders not locked.  So remove all decoder equipped items from track that are not to be changed.

bnoem1

Thanks, I was able to reset.  Keeping the address a 03 I had the very slow start from 01 on the throttle.  After programming the address to the loco number it reverts to a 14 step and the loco doesn't start until 12 on the throttle with a quick start to it.  I've put the start voltage to 0 and same result.  If you or anyone can offer more advice I'd appreciate it.  Thanks again.

Hunt

Detail how to instructions about programming a decoder using Digitrax DCC system with  JMRI DecoderPro interface is beyond the intent of this Board.

I will give this little bit of information  - When decoder reset , 28/128 speed step enable is included in the default value 06 of CV29. The default decoder address is 03.

Now set the DC100 using Status Edit to 128 for 128 speed step mode for address 03. FYI -  The command station assigns decoder status codes to each locomotive address in the system. At some point address 03 Status has been assigned from128 (the Digitrax default) to 14.

Also  Addressing Restriction

When using Ops Mode Programming   --- the Sound Value decoder does not allow changing the type of address currently in use. In other words, the decoder will ignore a change from a 2 digit address to another 2 digit address or from a 4 digit address to another 4 digit address.

Following is the workaround to the decoder's address type restriction when using Ops Mode Programming

If you can run the locomotive using 2 digit address (example 03), then with the locomotive not moving  select  Po and follow Digitrax Programming Mobile Decoder Addresses instructions to program address 03 to address 1000.

Once programmed, if you can run the locomotive using address 1000, then with the locomotive not moving  select Po and program address 1000 to the 2 digit address you want.

This addressing restriction is not applicable when using a Digitrax programming mode other than Po - Operations Mode Programming

bnoem1

After a brief conversation with the gentlemen at Soundtraxx and running through the ideas they had me try I did what I probably should have in the first place.  I went to the Digitrax throttle manual to see if I was doing everything right and eureka!  I found the simple solution - just edit the decoder status.  I'll not repeat the steps because I don't have the manual in front of me.  It was simple.  Thanks for your help.  Like I tell my students - "It pays to read the book."

Hunt

You must have missed this about Status Edit  --

Quote from: Hunt on January 22, 2017, 09:27:29 PM

. . . set the DC100 using Status Edit to 128 for 128 speed step mode for address 03. FYI -  The command station assigns decoder status codes to each locomotive address in the system. At some point address 03 Status has been assigned from128 (the Digitrax default) to 14.

. . .