Replacing traction tires on an HO Bachmann Pennsylvania 4-6-2 steam locomotive

Started by mikallen, January 23, 2017, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikallen

I have an HO Bachmann Pennsylvania 4-6-2 steam locomotive that runs very well on my conventional DC layout. It has the added feature of audio sound affects including locomotive chugging, braking & hissing as well as crew dialogue. Since my layout is conventional DC the audio dialogue delivery is somewhat random but it adds to the enjoyment. The operational sound effects correlate very well with its operation.

Here is my question or rather some advice I am seeking. The driving wheels have rubber traction tires and presently they are working ok but occasionally slip off. I have ordered replacement traction tires from Bachmann Trains.
I'm fairly sure that one of the two types I ordered will fit, I wasn't sure between the two so I ordered both.
I am seeking any advice, suggestions, hints warnings, etc. from you related to the successful installation of the new traction tires. This advice would also include the best method for any necessary dis-assembly & re-assembly. I have a fairly complete workshop and have some experience building and repairing HO locos & rolling stock. I have already re-installed one of the existing tires after it slipped off but that only required a minimum amount of disassembly-reassembly. Below are the traction tires I ordered:
36 x Traction Tire #2705-3283 (HO Universal)(TIREX-03)
36 x Traction Tire #3245 & 3847 (HO Universal)(TIREXX-02)

If the task proves to be beyond what I can competently perform I will send the loco to Engine House Services who have performed many repairs on
other locos for me.