Bachmann HO Rail Chief EMD GP40 Diesel Locomotive

Started by Steve M, February 03, 2017, 05:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve M

I recently purchased my first train set in over 40 years. I have a GP40 (BNSF) that is not DCC ready. I would like to add a decoder and sound. If that is possible, does anyone have a suggestion on a type or brand for each. I just purchased the E-Z Command Digital Command Control System. Any help is appreciated.

ACY

It is possible to install DCC in almost any HO locomotive, if it is practical or worthwhile is another story.
It would have been much easier to just buy a Bachmann GP40 that comes with DCC and sound.
What did you mean by "for each"? Generally people don't buy stand alone sound anymore, so ideally you should only use one decoder (with sound).

To install DCC ensure the motor is electrically isolated and then hardwire the decoder, hopefully you are good with a soldering iron as that will be necessary. There will most likely be holes drilled out in the bottom for placement of a speaker but if not it is not that hard to make your own if necessary.

As for a type or brand, it is really up to personal preference, just make sure it is rated for use with HO and that it is small enough to fit inside without any issues as often times there is insufficient space for ordinary decoders and you need to use something such as a microTsunami.

Also measure to see what size speaker you will need.

Steve M

ACY,
Thanks for the info. As I said I'm just getting into model railroading and things have change quite a bit since I last had trains. Thanks to your response I now have more info to look up.

Thanks!

MrMoose

Make sure that the decoder you get has the 645 turbo prime mover sound. That is typical for that Locomotive.

Steve M

Thanks, that is very helpful. Haven't had much luck finding info on what decoder(s) works with the GP40. Very much appreciated.

Len

Here's a diagram of the train set GP40, that includes the wires, which should make it a bit easier to get things connected. Keep in mind the loco wire colors may not match the NMRA standard colors used on decoders. You may have to rotate the diagram 90deg CCW:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_GP40.pdf

The fuel tank appears to be part of the chassis casting, so there may not be enough space for a sound speaker.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Steve M

Thanks for all the responses, they are appreciated. I am in the process of trying to decide if converting the GP40 is worth the time, effort and cost right now or should I spend my money on a locomotive that is DCC and sound equipped. I can always do the conversion (will be my first) later on.
Again, thanks for the info, it is helping guide me on my quest.

jbrock27

ModelTrainStuff and Trainworld also sell lots of Bachmann products.  In fact, MTS is having a sale on Bachmann products as we type.  It pays to shop the NET.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Steve M

I have been on some of those web sites and bought some stuff on modeltrainstuff.com. Adding some of the others to my list....thanks again for helping a novice learn.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Deland

I don't know if I would convert a modern Bachmann. I can usually buy a DCC with sound cheaper than I can add it.I might feel different if I owned more than one without DCC. I have bought a couple junk locos to repower and upgrade, but I paid like $5 each and felt like I could afford to play with the cost of a repower and decoder.