News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Making decals

Started by rustycoupler, January 24, 2017, 04:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

If i were to take a Microscale sheet of decals to a Staples or Office Depot, could they print them on my own decal paper?

JerryB

I would politely suggest that you need to ask Staples or Office Depot this questions. It really has nothing to do with Bachmann Trains!
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

WoundedBear

Quote from: rustycoupler on January 24, 2017, 04:36:18 PM
If i were to take a Microscale sheet of decals to a Staples or Office Depot, could they print them on my own decal paper?

Never giving a thought to anything like copyright laws.....lolololol.

Sid

James in FL

QuoteNever giving a thought to anything like copyright laws.....lolololol.

@WoundedBear makes a valid point about copyright.
As long as you are using the new decals for personal use only and not selling them or otherwise making a profit from them no laws are violated.
However the shopkeeper does not know what your intentions are, and probably wouldn't take the chance. There is a better than average chance he knows the laws and just wouldn't be willing to risk it.

FWIW Many years ago when I first got into making my own decals, I took a Master copy of custom decals to "Kinkos" (since bought by Fed Ex), I also brought both Ink Jet and Laser decal paper.
After a few questions he printed them for me on the Ink Jet paper.
They turned out great after I sealed them.
Cost was ridiculous cheap IIRC, 7 cents per copy.
After that one trip to Kinkos, all since have been printed on my own printers, at home.

What keeps you from scanning the decal sheet yourself and printing to decal paper from your own PC?
You also have the privacy of your own home.
Your business stays your business until you put it out there for others to see.

Decal Paper comes as either made for Inkjet or Laser printer types.
Be sure you buy the right flavor paper.

Keep your eye on the door for a cease and desist order from both the Department of Commerce and the Department of Justice.
You will not miss it, it has to be hand served, usually by a Federal Marshall.
Not to mention the IRS will likely have a closer look at your returns.

Watch for black helicopters.  ;)

Good luck

ebtnut

The biggest issue with home-printed decals is that you can't get white.  All the color printers presume the white print paper provides the white color.  AFAIK, only the old ALPS printers did white, but they used some kind of film transfer process, and they've been out of business for years.

ACY

Quote from: ebtnut on January 27, 2017, 09:50:42 AM
The biggest issue with home-printed decals is that you can't get white.  All the color printers presume the white print paper provides the white color.  AFAIK, only the old ALPS printers did white, but they used some kind of film transfer process, and they've been out of business for years.
The only work-around is to use white decal paper instead of clear, however depending on what exactly you are doing you may need to fill in the background to match the color of whatever you are placing the decal on top of and then blend it in with weathering or something to that effect. Otherwise, you can look for a used ALPS printer; however, the ink, especially the white is becoming scarce.

James in FL

QuoteThe only work-around is to use white decal paper instead of clear, however depending on what exactly you are doing you may need to fill in the background to match the color of whatever you are placing the decal on top of and then blend it in with weathering or something to that effect.

hmmm... sounds familiar....where did I hear that?