Adding Power Pick-Ups to Big Hauler Tender

Started by Michigan_Jim, January 25, 2017, 04:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michigan_Jim

Hi everyone.  I purchased a MyLocoSound board to place in a Big Hauler tender.  I ended up copying a style of power pick-up from George Schreyer's page that used a .016" x .25" x 2.850" piece of brass bent roughly like a flattened "U" and put one on either side of the rear truck of my tender.  It works - kind-of.  I'm getting a lot of variation in quiet / loud chuff and drop outs.  My thought is that I either need a more consistent pick-up or an additional pick-up on the front truck of the tender.

Has anyone done this / have a slick and easy way of doing it?  I also saw adding LGB plunger style pick-ups, but trying to keep this as cheap as possible.  Did Bachmann ever make any G scale power pick-up type trucks that I could buy direct for a more factory solution?

Anyone else run a MyLocoSound and can comment on consistency / usefulness.  I also read about putting a capacitor across the motor leads going into the board to smooth out the signal - not sure if this would help me or not.  Guessing it would not hurt.  Thank you for any and all feedback!  Jim

Nathan

Jim,

I have used the LGB #67403 Wheel Sets with built in power pickups on several Big Hauler tenders over the years.  They easy to install and reliable. Yes they are on the upper end price wise.

Nathan

Michigan_Jim

Nathan - wow those look like the hot (albeit expensive) ticket.  are they a drop in in Bachmann trucks?  Didn't want to spend much money, but that looks like the way to go.  Thank you for the part number.

Nathan

Jim,

Yes the fit.  There are two axles per.  There is no problem getting one set now and the other some time in the future when money allows.

Nathan

Dr Who 12

Hi Michigan Jim

I was thinking about doing the same up grade to my 4-6-0s as well but I was thinking of using the bearing pickups on a Piko  truck. I have installed a set a passenger cabooses so I could  install lights in the cabooses.
I think that the wheel/axel assembly would work on the Bachmann truck and the wires would install in the bearings of the axels. These trucks are great as they don't put any drag on the car as the standard truck with pick ups did. I don't know if you could just replace the Bachman  trucks with the Piko trucks but that would be a quick fix if you could. You can get the Piko trucks from Reindeer Pass or order them from some other dealer or from Piko direct. The # for the trucks is 36167

I also was thinking about installing My Loco Sound in my 4-6-0s so please let us know how it works out.

I hope this helps.
Later
Dr Who 12

Dr Who 12

Hi Michigan Jim.

Well I have another Idea for power pickups for a big hauler tender. I was looking the other day at a real 4-6-0 locomotive and noticed chains attached to the tender's trucks. I have a Bachman 2-6-0 spectrum that has track power pickups on the tender trucks and chains  attached to the tender frame like the real one I saw and these trucks are available from the Bachmann 2-6-0 parts section of their website.

I took the trucks off my 2-6-0 and noticed that they mount to the tender a bit differently than the original 4-6-0 tender trucks but with some modification I think they could be made to work.

I think these 2-6-0 trucks with the attached chains  look better on a 4-6-0 anniversary locomotive than original ones. 

I'm thinking of making this change at lease  to 2 of my 4  4-6-0s in the future as I might need the extra power pickup for future electronics.

Hope this helps
Dr Who 12

Dr Who 12

Hi Michigan Jim .

I made a mistake the trucks I mentioned in my commutes are in the parts for the 4-4-0 spectrum loco listing, of the parts catalog and not the 2-6-0 pages that I mentioned.

Sorry for the mix-up.
Dr Who 12

Michigan_Jim

Dr Who - after adding the capacitor across the motor leads per the suggestion list in the MyLocoSound manual it sounds great with my homemade setup - that did the trick.  It must have smoothed out the power just enough that the board is happy.  I think for future use (or when this one breaks) I would either go the route Nathan or you suggested.  What I have works, but just isn't all that clean.

I'm happy with the card, but I also don't have anything to compare it to so don't take my word as gospel to run out and buy / not buy one.  I've used it a total of 20 minutes and have been happy. 

SophieB

Quote from: Nathan on January 25, 2017, 05:12:05 PM
Jim,

I have used the LGB #67403 Wheel Sets with built in power pickups on several Big Hauler tenders over the years.  They easy to install and reliable. Yes they are on the upper end price wise.

Nathan

I've used these also, pricey but they work well and are very free-wheeling. Personally, I would avoid, or at least minimize, making any modifications that are going to add drag to a Ten Wheeler.

Sophie B