News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

H4 2-6-6-2 performance

Started by sedfred, January 27, 2017, 11:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

I recently ordered YET another locomotive, a spectrum 2-6-6-2 on Modeltrainstuff (a warehouse find) and i have heard good things about them for the most part, but i forgot to research one thing, how many cars max can it pull up a 2% grade? Does it have any mechanical issues like the 2-10-0 that i should know about?
My ho locomotive roster as of now:

C&O H4 2-6-6-2 (on the way)
UP 4-8-4 806
PM 1225 2-8-4
WP 2-8-0
Erie 2-10-0
USRA 0-6-0
Alco 2-6-0
Baldwin modern 4-4-0
0-6-0t
F9
Athearn SW1500

Len

Nobody will know what you're asking if they don't view first. If they don't have the answer, they generally will not respond. It's just the way forums like this work.

At any rate, the reviews I've seen for the HO H4 say it will pull 50 or so "free rolling" cars on level track. So you should probably half that for a 2% grade. I don't own an H4, but my LL Heritage 2-8-8-2 will take 30 cars up 2%.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Depending on the weight (and length) of your cars, you can expect to pull anywhere from 15-20, or perhaps 25 ore cars or something like that. Mine runs fine, note you may want to modify the wires going between the locomotive and the tender so they don't cause any issues.

digitalgriffin

They are very nice smooth runners.  Details are good and accurate to the prototype.  (It's about 6" too long compared to the prototype, but that's a nitpick)  You should be able to pull 20->25 55-ton hoppers up a 2% grade with them.  Sound is okay, but not nearly as good as the H-5 which has a bigger speaker.  You'll need to adjust the sound to lower the chuff volume to hear the bell and whistle at higher speeds.

That said they suffer the same problem as the Mountain and shay class...Gear failure.   Secen trains, seven failures.  Getting replacement parts is difficult.  Replacing them with NWSL equivalents is the best solution.  But this takes some serious skill, gear pullers, rivet, and requartering equipment.  It is not for the beginner. 

That said Bachmann is very good with their warranties and will likely offer you a decent sized loco of a different type in replacement.  (The USRA H-4/H-5 aren't made anymore)

sedfred

I understand that spectrum locos can have mechanical issues so I kept that in mind. The reason I bought it is because it's discontinued and it was cheap. Btw is is guranteed that gear failure will happen at some point or is it a hit or miss thing? Could I luck out and never have to replace the gears?