New Ho engine has the new couplers that have thin curve piece that hangs down?

Started by Assapuffington, February 17, 2017, 12:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assapuffington

Hello,I have a new Ho Bachmann RedSox Engine with the new type couplers on it.they have a spring and a thin curved thing hanging down.The cars I have I have are HO,I think they have the old atlas style couplers on them.How can I use this engine with these cars? Maybe change the one on the car that hooks to the engine,or vice a versa?? Any Idea's how I can do this?, and what parts I need to do it?? Please help if you can,much appreciated.Thankyou.

Flare

"Knuckle" couplers as they're called are made to look like real couplers on trains, the thin metal piece that hangs down is meant to look like an air hose and is magnetic so an undertrack magnet can uncouple the cars for you.

Walthers still sells those "Horn hook" couplers, not sure if they'll work in a Bachmann locomotive though.

If you want to convert your cars to match the locomotive, Bachmann sells just the couplers and a company called Kadee specializes in couplers and even has conversion kits that might work on your cars:  https://kadee.com/conv/hocc.htm

Terry Toenges

Some people make a transition car with a knuckle coupler on one end and a horn hook (the old one) coupler on the other end.
Older cars usually have the coupler pocket attach to the truck. You can buy knuckle couplers that will work where the horn hook couplers fit.
These are Bachmann couplers.

Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Assa, what make are the cars you have that have the "old style" "horn hook" X2F couplers?

**The picture above represents only 1 style of Bachmann couplers and I don't not believe this is the style you would be best to consider using to replace the X2Fs.  The ones you many want to consider are EZ Mate Mark IIs (there are other manufacuters as well) and they look like this:

http://www.micromark.com/E-Z-Mate-Mark-II-Couplers-25-Pair?gclid=CjwKEAiA_p_FBRCRi_mW5Myl4S0SJAAkezZrIIhdKwJ2lAkmcvNWk4PD2Ifl2vsq_yJ_ny7p_Zhp2BoCw4Dw_wcB

But lets get the answer to my question before going further...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Assapuffington

Hi there,The loco has the E-Z mate mark 2 couplers,and the cars have the old atlas horn hook couplers.I think I can change the loco Coupler with a Athearn 90601 Ho Horn Hook Coupler (X2F) looks the same as the old horn hooks,and mount for the 90601 on the engine looks the same,to change it to the horn hook style,and not have to change all the cars.I know confusing,but sound right to you? thanks for your help.Beginner at this and there's a million different couplers out there.

ACY

Quote from: Assapuffington on February 18, 2017, 11:20:20 PM
I think I can change the loco Coupler with a Athearn 90601 Ho Horn Hook Coupler (X2F) looks the same as the old horn hooks,and mount for the 90601 on the engine looks the same,to change it to the horn hook style,and not have to change all the cars.I know confusing,but sound right to you?
You should be able to do that no problem, the only reservation I have is that if you should purchase another locomotive or additional cars in the future they will all have the newer style coupler. In fact, the older style couplers are rarely included anymore, generally everyone with the exception of Life-Like's basic line uses body mounted knuckle couplers. So it may help to have a conversion car already ready in case of future purchases that also have the newer style coupler.

jbrock27

You are more than welcome for the help. :)

the cars have the old atlas horn hook couplers

Right, we got that, but what make are these cars??  In other words, who makes these cars you have?  This is important to know in order to help steer you in the right direction.  While I am asking, how old are the cars (rolling stock)?

I can change the loco Coupler with a Athearn 90601 Ho Horn Hook Coupler (X2F) and not have to change all the cars.  I know confusing, but sound right to you? here.

Not confusing at all but no, that is not the way I believe you should go about it, agreeing with reasons cited by ACY.  There are also other reasons not to, that have not yet been cited.  You have the opportunity to do some really good things here and expand your HO train modeling universe. 

Beginner at this and there's a million different couplers out there.

While there are a few coupler makes and several styles out there to choose from, there are not quite million  :D.  As far as being a beginner, as my good friend James just recently stated, we were all there at one time. ;)

Keep Calm and Carry On

Assapuffington

I have no idea what make these cars are,there old ho,probably rolling stock like you said.

jbrock27

No idea based on how you obtained them?  Usually the underside (frame) can provide some hint.

Short of identifying them that way, have the ability to post pictures of them?

I would hope they are HO, in order to run them w/your HO locomotive and on HO track. 

Rolling stock is just another term for freight cars, btw.
Keep Calm and Carry On