is a return loop possible with two cotrollers?

Started by macivor, January 28, 2017, 12:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macivor

is a return loop possible with two controllers?  gaps could allow 2 power packs, one for each power need.

Flare

digitalgriffin

Well technically speaking a DPDT switch would do the same thing for much cheaper.  But if you are using DCC, an auto reverser like the Digitrax AR-1 is your best bet.

Richard_LnRrr

I was already using an Azatrax MRD2-s infrared control to automatically throw switches in and out of loops as trains approach. I have two loops with a short section between.  I use the short section as a reversing section rather than using reversing loops. (one loop is actually the rest of the layout with switches and multiple paths, so I did not want to switch that power).  I added an Azatrax MRAPR dpdt relay that is controlled from the MRD2 detector.  Since I was already automatically controlling my switches, adding the relay for about $15.00 allowed the power to auto-reverse as the switches realign.

digitalgriffin

Does it creep then stop, creep then stop?  OR
Move fast, then move slow, move fast then move slow

The later is a quartering issue.  The way to tell is to look carefully to see if the main rod is straight on both sides.  Next watch is roll by slowly.  If it slows down in the same place rotation wise, or lifts a wheel, you are likely out of quarter.

If this was not new out of the box, it is possible someone greased it and the grease dried up and got gunky on the gears.

macivor

two controllers do work!  I played with toggles and found if I time it right and have direction chosen ahead of time on both controllers, it runs close to seamlessly.  I bought an AR-1 auto reverser, and learned it was only DCC capable.  As I am running a dc layout for now, I am soldering and running feeders and a buss for future DCC operation.