News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrading DCC loco to sound

Started by roundhouse foreman, January 30, 2017, 11:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roundhouse foreman

What Bachmann parts are needed to add sound to DCC ho 4-8-4 Niagara's?

RHF

roundhouse foreman

richiy

Isn't that a total replacement decoder for the one that is in there?
Is there just a sound module available that "adds" or piggy backs on to the motor and lite controller to give sounds at a more reasonable cost?
Will I have to replace all the installed decoders rather than add on "something" to get sounds?

RHF

ACY

Quote from: roundhouse foreman on January 31, 2017, 10:52:39 AM
Is there just a sound module available that "adds" or piggy backs on to the motor and lite controller to give sounds at a more reasonable cost?
Will I have to replace all the installed decoders rather than add on "something" to get sounds?
Not for this engine. For locomotives like the Bachmann HO 2-8-8-4 EM-1 (B&O), it has the option for an add on sound module but the vast majority of Bachmann engines don't have this option unfortunately for you.
Generally you are looking at $100+ to add sound to an HO locomotive, if that is out of your price range at the moment, then just bide your time until you save up enough is all I can suggest.

WoundedBear

Quote from: roundhouse foreman on January 31, 2017, 10:52:39 AM
richiy

RHF

The experts seem to have missed these. Digitrax used to make something similar.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/product-p/0001908.htm

These keep your present motor decoder and add sound with a two wire connection.

Sid

WoundedBear

Instead of worrying about being politically correct all the time, why not actually read the OP's question and give a pertinent answer? He asked about "add-on units" in the second post he made.

Sid