News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler on motor shaft broken

Started by Fish, January 29, 2017, 03:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish

I just discovered that one of the motor shaft couplers has come off.  I believe I now need to replace the motor.  However the parts store says the GP 40 motors are out of stock and / or discontinued.  I wonder if it possible to solder the coupler back on to the motor shaft?  Otherwise I am open to suggestions.  Hate to lose the engine.  it cost $35 to purchase a new under chassis. Just noticed that the chassis are out of stock.  Almost the cost of a new GP 40 diesel. I hope I am making myself clear as to which part is broken. It holds the plastic propeller shaft that connects to the trucks.

spookshow

You mean the notched plastic cup that attaches to the motorshaft? If it's not broken, I'd think you could just glue it back on?

-Mark

Fish

yes  that's it exactly.  I'll give it a shot.  I do think given some other problems I wrote about recently that I would like to replace the motor, but that may not be possible since the online parts store says they are sold out.  I need to call Bmann and clarify what that means exactly.  I will be very disappointed if they are discontinuing replacement parts for that model, GP 40 series.  Thanks for your help.

spookshow

Definitely check with the parts department. Just because something is listed as out of stock on the website doesn't necessarily mean that they can't scrounge one up for you (what with all parts donor locos people send in for warranty replacement).

-Mark

Fish

Thanks spookshow, will do tomorrow morning.

rrjim1

If the coupler is not split, you can use Locitite retaining compound (620 or 680) to secure it to the shaft. This is not a super glue, clean up both parts and rough up the shaft and apply a very small amount in the coupler being very careful not to get any in the bearing. Let it setup for 10-15 minutes and it will not come loose again.