News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC n scale diesels

Started by Fish, January 31, 2017, 03:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish

Which model diesels (DC only) are the latest Bachmann models?  Having had the experience of finding that the motor for my GP 40 diesel is no longer available, I have no desire to be in the position of needing parts only to find out that they are no longer in production. :)

James in FL

Dunno Fish,
Look here first;
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=265_379
Couldn't tell you which ones are without DCC.

For that, you need to read what the Spook has to say about them here;
http://www.spookshow.net/locolist.php?diesels=6&nonbrass=3&sortby=3&Submit=Submit

FWIW, many have learned the only way to guarantee your supply of spare parts is to purchase a second lokie.
The way things are evolving in this pre-order way of things, seems that the prices for lokies has gone up, not because of better quality, but because of limited run (availability).
If you need one, then buy two.
If you need two, then buy four.
It also appears that Bachmann continues to progress toward "everything" with DCC and sound standard in all their models.
Other manufacturers still offer both DC and DCC versions on most all their models.
Even with other manufacturers, buy two.
As you see, eventually you will need parts.
Try to build a stash of the parts you consume the most, motors, trucks, traction tires etc.
Buy when the opportunity presents itself, whenever and whatever that source might be.
Buy what you can afford.
Many times extra parts are easily traded or bartered, I do all the time.

Good luck

brokemoto

I am sure that I am not the only one who has noticed this, but I have been seeing the early stages of a trend by the manufacturers of getting away from DC only power.  Now that there are various so-called "smart" decoders available, more manufacturers will begin to offer only power with these decoders. 

The performance of these "smart" decoders varies wildly not just by manufacturer, but also, even in different models from the same manufacturer.  One of the major problems in runnability/performance is that every time the locomotive equipped with a "smart" decoder hits the smallest dead spot, it stops while the decoder re-sets itself.  On the DC models, one purpose of the flywheels was to allow the locomotive to coast over these dead spots and resume running once contact was re-established.

If you will read spookshow's website, you will see that he comments on older power, as well.  Much of this older power lacks a decoder.  Much of this older power is still out there.  You can find it at shows or at dealers as NOS.  There are various manufacturers out there that have offered some excellent power in the past, and, that continue to do so.  Some of it can be had for good prices.