Started by fred lundgren, January 29, 2017, 12:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

Great modeling but Kennesaw was called ,Big Shanty back then. ;D

Keep up the good work

Royce

p51

Nice layout!  :)
Balloon stacks would be more correct for the timeframe, though.
The real W&A was a 5-foot gauge railroad until the 1880s, but it does look good as a 30" line, doesn't it?
The only thing I have on my layout to recall the "War of Northern Aggression" is a memorial, as my layout takes place in 1943:

My Father made the barrel on a lathe for this, and is an accurate rendition of a M1857 12-pounder "Napoleon" barrel. In the 1940s, this is the only type of Civil War memorial you'd likely find, other than a statue of a soldier. Battlefields didn't have replica cannon carriages on them until the late 1950s and an original carriage would have rotted away after 70 years. So a pedestal is historically accurate.
I'm looking into ways to chemically speed up the oxidation as it looks way too polished for what it is...
-Lee

Royce Wilson

His work looks great and I was not going to nitpick it but the flag in the photo is personal flag of R.E.Lee and he commanded the Army of Northern Virginia. :o

Royce

dutchbuilder

Quote from: p51 on January 30, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
Nice layout!  :)

I'm looking into ways to chemically speed up the oxidation as it looks way too polished for what it is...

Apply a solution of copper sulfate and then heat it up with a torch until the copper sulfate turns black.
Then clean the excess sulfate (green) off and repeat that process several times until the brass is a very dark brown,
Clean and wax.

Ton

hminky

The layout is actually 55n3, three foot gauge on HO track, 5.5mm/ft.

The use of funnel stacks was the most common during that period.

Harold

dutchbuilder

It was created by Ronald Halma from the Netherlands.
For as far as ik know it's 0n30.
I have fallowed it's creation on a Dutch American trains forum.
I also seen it in real life at the Ontrax exhibition at the national rail museum in Utrecht.

It's in Dutch, but here is the original thread.
http://www.amerikaanse-treinen.nl/forum/index.php?topic=43.0

Ton

dutchbuilder

You are absolutely right, it's been a while.

Ton