News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC experts' advice needed

Started by lanny, November 30, 2007, 04:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Okay ...here's the deal. The ICRR Mountains and maybe even Mikes as well as the 2-10-2s often pulled a 'cistern' (ICRR homemade water car). Thanks to Orsonroy's diagrams, I  can bash a couple of non-Specrum tenders into a reaonabl water car that is the exact length of the Bachmann DCC 70 ton diesel (the new one with one motor).

It would be a 'stand alone' unit run on DC only to help on my steep grades and would up trian lenght by 3-5 cars I think.

What, if anything, do I have to do to the 70 ton circut board so it will run okay in tandem with regular DC locomotives ... do I have to remove or cut any capacitors in order to run in okay with the regular DC engines? I know there will be 'wheel slip', but do I have to do any electronic stuff to the 70 tonner. I have very heavy duty DC MRC powerpaks so power is no problem. This will run along with a Spectrum DC heavy mountain, or a Spectrum DC 2-6-6-2 or a 2-8-0.

Any electrical adivse appreicated ... I hope I can just leave it alone, kit bash the 'cistern' and add some power that way. The trucks will not be accurate ... but kind of close and I can live with that for now.

thanks for advise!
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny,
Unless Bachmann has changed its policy for this one locomotive, the decoder will respond to a DC power pack as though the loco were pure DC.  No worry about sitting on a powered track, no humm - just a pure DC loco.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Gene,

That's almost as good an answer as finding three 2-8-0 s at a garage sale that were supposed to be for parts but all work!   :D Thanks very much ... here comes the extra power needed to get those 12-16 car frieghts up the grade.

Thanks Gene!

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler