News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann n turnout switches

Started by rarden, February 10, 2017, 07:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rarden

I have searched, not sure finding what I need. I have the switches, the red and the green wires, the manual switch controls, where does the power come from. I thought I would need the 44212 power control, but they don't make it any more. thanks for the help for a newby

Desertdweller

rarden,

I have a large N-scale railroad with about 60 power switches, half being Bachmann and half being Atlas.  The switch controls for both kinds are similar.

The power to activate the switches is uncontrolled AC.  It is sourced from the accessory terminals of the power pack (the red wires connecting the power pack to the switch controller.)  On the small Bachmann power packs, it is the spring-loaded terminals atop the power pack.  This power feed attaches to the left side of the switch controller, see the illustration on the card the switch comes in.

It is likely you have more than one power switch.  If so, a whole series of power switches controls can be powered by "ganging" them together.  The power input side (left side) of one controller can be attached directly to the power out put (right side) of the one to the left of it.

Each powered switch is activated by a solenoid motor geared to a rack that moves forward or backward to move the throwbar to move the points of the switch.  There is a three-wire harness that runs from the bottom of the switch controller to the switch.  The solenoid is AC.  The center wire is a common return, the outer two determine the polarity (and therefore the direction of travel) of the solenoid.  If the switch throws in the opposite direction desired, simply unplug the three wire harness from the controller and turn the plug over and reconnect it.

Notice all this circuitry applies to changing the route through the switch.  Power to the track is something else entirely.  The Bachmann switches I have used are power-routing.  Atlas switches are not power routing.  They use a simplified design without the rack and pinion design.  Bachmann switches automatically cut power to their solenoid after being activated.  Atlas switches do not.  Therefore, Atlas switches can only be momentarily activated without burning out the solenoid.  This is normally not a problem if you are careful not to leave th control button down too long.

I hope this answers your question.

Les

rarden

Thanks for the answer, but my power pack is a 44211 which only has a plug style outlet. is there another power pack that has ability to take the 3 switch power wires?

Deland

Bachmann switches use two wires input, they are auxiliary terminals on some power packs/transformers. They bring power to the switch (not the turnout, the electrical switch( those can be "ganged" with the power going to one switch and the connection(side by side) will power a row of switches. The 3 wire hookup goes to the Turn out solenoid. The switch then powers one end or the other of the solenoid making it bi-directional. You will ne an auxiliary power source to power them. Some power packs have both ac/dc outputs. I use DCC but run my turnout switches off of the original power pack. Bachmann has diagrams and directions that will get your switches hoked up right but until you can power them.... you're stuck.