News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Stop & Go

Started by Mr. C, February 14, 2017, 03:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. C

I have a Berkshire 2-8-4 with dcc and sound. It came dcc equipped .I installed sound. It runs and works fine except when it crosses a particular switch.It has no trouble with the other switches. All other engines,whether dc or dcc cross it fine with no stop and go. I have to believe its something in the berkshire engine. I'm looking for ideas.

Irbricksceo

Its possible that section of track is dirty. sound locomotives are much more sensitive to power loss (I actually removed the sound decoder from my only sound loco because it stalled too often, runs like a dream with a non-sound decoder in)
Modeling NYC in N

Mr. C

Track has been cleaned.I replaced the switch. All other sound engines have no problem.

WoundedBear

Check your wiring on the loco. Almost sounds like some of the rail pick-ups aren't connected. Possible a cracked wire or something as simple as reseating the plug connectors between loco and tender. Also check pick-up wipers for wheel contact. A continuity test will tell you a lot about what is....or isn't.....connected.

Sid

Piyer

Is the turnout in question identical in all other aspects to the others? Same frog number? Wired the same? Is it flat or on a grade of even the slightest of sorts? Have you used a multi-meter to verify that all parts of the turnout are supply electricity where electricity is expected to be. Does the problem present itself regardless of direction of travel, or is the problem only happening when the locomotive crosses it in a specific routing?

~AJK
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

jbrock27

We can assume this is a Bachmann turnout/switch, correct?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr. C

I will check the engine for wiring faults. As for the turnouts,they are all the same.The problem happens in forward or reverse at that turnout. this is all Bachmann e-z track.

West Bound

You may have already done these, Check the wheel wipers on loco are making good contact with the wheels. Move wheels side to side that they are still making contact. Check the wipers on the axles of the tender. also check to see if the plugs between loco and tender are tight.

HoModeler

It could be the Decoder inside the engine LOST is PROGRAM OR is going BAD... I had an issue with a Non-Bachmann Loco A PA-1 A unit I have... Sort of the same issue you have but only my Loco would start up no problems & than start moving in a jerking / twitching motion & stop. Cleaned my Loco wheels & track to still have the same issues Took the Loco to my HS Train Tech he originally thought the Decoder LOST it's Programming So he re-programmed the Loco & brought it back home Loco Ran Good for 2 days than the same problem came back. I call the HS up & spoke to the Train Tech He said the Decoder WENT BAD thankfully the Loco was still under factory warrenty I sent loco in for repair.... The Factory sent me a New PA-1 A unit in the mail I had it 3 days later... I had NO Problems with the Loco since than....