OFFICIAL 2017 THOMAS & FRIENDS NEW PRODUCTS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Started by InsideTrack, February 17, 2017, 04:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodorlad

Quote from: Griffin on February 20, 2017, 05:30:08 PM
Quote from: sodorlad on February 20, 2017, 05:22:58 PM
Gordon too has arguably little to pull rolling stock wise associated with his character.
I mean...what does he have to pull in HO?

Nothing. But he did... and they are no longer in production. Another factor which doesn't bode well for Gordon's release in LS.

OO/HO Coaches are available courtesy of a rival manufacturer of course.
Botheration...

donaldthescottishtwin

Diesels tooling isn't particularly complicated that's why I feel they decided on him for LS, now I don't see anything holding Bachmann back from modifying LS James tooling to make Edward.

Chaz

So now that the catalog is out here are further thoughts.

It's obvious that with both HO engines still delayed, as well as everything in narrow gauge being delayed too that Bachmann decided to take things a lot lighter this year with only two additions being new toolings.  Both being very easy to make with one of them obviously being made to produce more re-colors in the future.  I find it interesting how the new cattle wagons illustration makes it seem like it has a Bachmann Branchline tooling like Toad since it looks like this cattle wagon includes brake pipes on both ends.  The spiteful brake van replacing the regular brake van in large scale is an interesting choice, I also wonder based on the illustration of the large scale Diesel if that will be given a more angry face as opposed to the smiling one on the HO model.

Despite this, I'm actually a lot happier with these announcements than last year's announcements, as I felt that most of what got announced last year really fell flat (with the exception of Troublesome truck #5 and narrow gauge announcements).  This year's announcements show quality and not quantity. I am a lot happier with this year's choice of an HO engine, as Paxton is an obvious improvement over Rosie who will not only look a lot nicer, and will sell better but is a lot more of an actual character as opposed to a shameless marketing tool who was made to only appeal to little girls.

It's understandable why some people are upset that Sir Handel and Peter Sam got skipped in favor of Rusty but with everything from last year being delayed it makes sense why they want to go for an easier tooling.  I'm personally happy that Mattel is at least having Bachmann sticking with the season 4 narrow gauge engines as opposed to forcing them into the newer/more marketable ones, so in some ways it could have been a lot worse.  I'm just happy enough we are halfway through the original six narrow gauge engines. 

This years announcements really do show promise as well as hope that we can expect more in the future.  My only complaints are the lack of rolling stock for narrow gauge, but I'm sure we will see coaches and brake vans soon, along with Sir Handel and Peter Sam too.  I also think the Spiteful brake van should have been announced in HO too, but when a 2018 thread eventually pops up I'll do a post suggesting that.  Otherwise, I see this years announcements as a huge improvement over last years and I am really looking forward to these new products.  Thanks again Bachmann!

Now that everything else is out, what are everyone else's thoughts? 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Kemptown Branch

Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Go to the 2016 catalogue and replace the 6 with a 7 in the url.

It's not very wise of Bachmann imo to not include a real picture of Rosie or Rheneas in the catalogue. To the common consumer who looks through the catalogue every year, not seeing progress isn't a good sign. And we know they have the models- heck, Rosie's promo was up on the website!

Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Captain Crutch

I'm very disappointed that we have no picture of rheneas as he was clearly at the show. Heck they didn't even include a picture of Rosie. But we did get Paxton and rust and a general outline of the new rollingstock. Other than that this catalogue is useless. I do hope we get a prototype picture of rheneas soon, as again he was clearly at the show. It actually shows us less than we've already been shown!
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Toad139

Quote from: Chaz on February 20, 2017, 09:31:50 PM

I also think the Spiteful brake van should have been announced in HO too, but when a 2018 thread eventually pops up I'll do a post suggesting that.  

Considering we got two of the previous large scale only vent vans, we will probably be getting the Spiteful Brake Van in HO sooner or later. Maybe next year we'll get that and explosive van.

Metal

Well I guess I'll give my thoughts

Paxton is not much of a surprise, but I'd welcome him more than Arry/Bert. Considering his doubt, and portrayal in the show. So I wouldn't mind picking him up. 

With Rusty, I'm kinda not surprised he was announced, I was speculating that Bachmann might put Rusty or Peter Sam before Sir Handel, going by what's the most marketable. I still think they're going down the route following with Peter Sam next. I assume that Rusty was brought in because of his simple design and color contrast.

The LS Range, I think this is a step-up compared to the previous. While some have hoped for Edward, I think Diesel, the fact they introduced a new engine into the LS is actually a blessing. As with the Spiteful Brake Van, that's a complete surprise.

Overall, very short list, perhaps the smallest we've had in a while, but nonetheless this is a good year. Quality vs Quantity. 

donaldthescottishtwin

A disappointing thing about Rusty for me personally is he will have his large Sqaure face rather than the smaller face from season 4, but it's easily modifiable. Something I was surprised to see was the Spiteful Brakevan is more RWS based than TV if they bring him to the H0 range I hope they keep that look.

sean1994rail

Quote from: HLC Railroad on February 20, 2017, 10:07:12 PM
I'm very disappointed that we have no picture of rheneas as he was clearly at the show. Heck they didn't even include a picture of Rosie. But we did get Paxton and rust and a general outline of the new rollingstock. Other than that this catalogue is useless. I do hope we get a prototype picture of rheneas soon, as again he was clearly at the show. It actually shows us less than we've already been shown!
the Rheneas and Rosie models probably weren't ready when the 2017 catalogue was being designed. at least they added the Oliver model image.

Chaz

Regarding the photo of Rheneas, I recall something similar happening with the red coaches one year and those were on display at Toy Fair before we got official photos, something tells me that this is the same scenario with Rheneas.  A photo of him isn't that far away now.

Quote from: Toad139 on February 20, 2017, 11:34:16 PM
Quote from: Chaz on February 20, 2017, 09:31:50 PM

I also think the Spiteful brake van should have been announced in HO too, but when a 2018 thread eventually pops up I'll do a post suggesting that.  

Considering we got two of the previous large scale only vent vans, we will probably be getting the Spiteful Brake Van in HO sooner or later. Maybe next year we'll get that and explosive van.

It's certainly not out of the question, but I will bring it up regardless, seems like a decent opportunity for Bachmann to do a decent recolors that fans would actually be a lot more interested in compared to other ones in recent years.  Especially when the Donald and Douglas models are still in production. :P

On another note, did anyone else notice that the Salty set has been discontinued? It seems like Salty really is out of the range permanently now.  What's really strange is that the standard large scale Thomas was not there either, yet he is still in the sets and available in DCC/sound.  No idea why they would do that with Thomas of all characters.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sean1994rail

Hopefully Chaz, hopefully Bachmann will bring back Salty someday, especially when they release Porter.

The only let down of the Salty set was the redesigned conductor. Cranky the Crane would have been a better addition.

JD417

The reason why the standard Thomas is discontinued is a brilliant marketing strategy: The only way to get a Thomas now is the more expensive variant (The Sound one), or through the most expensive way possible, by having to buy a whole set.

But to be honest, I'm thinking anyone who wanted a Large Scale Thomas (and only him) most likely would have one by now.

Plow_Bender

In regards to the large scale Thomas #91401 being absent in the 2017 catalog, it comes as somewhat of a surprise to me, but at the same time it doesn't.  Considering the fact I noticed he's been sold out for almost a year now, I had a feeling something was up, but didn't think Bachmann was going to discontinue the model.  Especially when he is the #8 bestseller on the bestsellers list of Large Scale Thomas & Friends motive power.

It's no surprise, but the Thomas with Annie and Clarabel set #90068 is actually the #1 bestseller in the whole Large Scale Thomas & Friends range.  I think that many people who are getting into collecting the Large Scale Thomas & Friends models would probably find it easier to go out and just by a complete train set, as opposed to just buying everything separately.  I remember back when I first started collecting large scale, I just went out and bought the Thomas and Percy sets (also got a Bachmann Big Haulers set) because it was the easiest way to get the models, track, and was a cheaper alternative.

That's another thing.  It should also be noted that for the price of a large scale Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel separately, you could just about buy the complete train set for the same price.  Not sure that's really saying much though considering all you're getting extra is a bundle of throw away steel alloy track and a very underpowered 1 amp power supply.  My recommendation is to sell that garbage off and get yourself the Bachmann brass track and a power supply of at least 5 amps or more.

I can honestly say I don't 100% agree with Bachmann's decision to make Thomas a set exclusive (if that is the case), especially when he is the #1 character and considering the stats on his sales were good.  Unfortunately this leaves me in a bit of a bind considering I've been meaning to upgrade my Thomas model with a newer one.  That pretty much leaves me rushing to get my hands on a new model while I still can, or purchase a complete train set and have yet more steel alloy track that I don't need.  Then again, eBay has come through for me many times before in my hunt for large scale products. 

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TerencetheTractor525

Overall, the announcements for this year look great. As everyone has been saying, quality over quantity is the moral for this year. The only real disappointment is that there is no new rolling stock for the narrow gauge line. However, that does not make the overall announcement poor. After looking at the catalog that just came out, the item that I am the most excited for is McColl's Cattle Wagon. When I first read the list of new items, I thought that McColl's Cattle Wagon was just going to be another typical repaint, but no. According to the illustration, Bachmann is using a brand new tooling from the Bachmann Branchline. That will definitely be on my Christmas list for this year ;).

Now, since Bachmann is making Paxton, which would be the fourth Class 08 in the range, and the seventh "small loco" since Donald and Douglas, I think that there is some serious discussing to do for a possible 2018 loco. I know that it is still pretty early for 2018 predictions, however, this is one that I wanted to put out immediately since it could be yet another great investment for Bachmann. Diesel 10 Diesel 10 would probably be one of Bachmann's best selling locos. Here's why. He would be the first "large diesel" in the range with a unique livery and a fascinating persona. His claw, "Pinchy", is also mind-boggling (in a good way for the consumer). Just imagine yourself walking into a hobby store or train show with all of the Bachmann locos hanged up. Diesel 10 would surely stand out. Daisy would be the other great choice, but in terms of overall sales, I think that Diesel 10 would be better.

Lastly, for anyone who is interested in 3D printed faces from the classic era including the Spiteful Brake Van face, I would recommend that you check this out: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/seansstuff?s=0#more-products
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.