News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout Trouble

Started by tpikebob, February 20, 2017, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpikebob

I have 2 4x8 tables I have put them in a L shape  so my layout area is 8x12. Having trouble deciding on a layout. Would like a track around the  paraimeter with some trains inside and maybe a over under with tunnels. I am using HO silver EZtrak and some of the turns are tough?  IDEAS? also can Bach Ho flex track be combined with ez trak? This would make some corners easier?  HELP

jbrock27

As long as the flex track is Code 100, yes.  You will need to put road bed (I recommend Midwest cork) under the flex track to match the height of the EZ track.  Be careful not to make the radius on the curves using the flex track, too tight. 

What kind of locos are you running?  This will influence the radius of the curves you should use.
Keep Calm and Carry On

RAM

Ideas, You get 100 people and you will have 100 ideas.  Do you want a model railroad layout, or a model train layout.  Myself, I like model railroad layout.  You don't have track just to have track.  I would say a limit of 5 locomotives.  I would have single track on the edge of the layout with one exception.  That would be a siding at the station to hold a short passenger train.  All your trains would be short.  Inside would be yard and service tracks.  You would be able to do most  of the switching of you customers with out getting on the main line.  The far corner would be hidden track.  That is just my thinking.

Len

Kalmbach offers a number of books on layout planning:
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/catalog/books?filters=fad1ce900f1b40479549a4c670bb57de,07add069119048d893e98c001107a3a2

If you have enough space for an 8 x 12 layout using two sheets of plywood, I strongly suggest looking at a shelf type layout. You'll get a lot more railroad in the same space, and be able to use broader curves.

Kalmbach also has some books with nice layout suggestions for that kind of space. At least to give some ideas to use as a starting place:
https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/catalog/books?filters=fad1ce900f1b40479549a4c670bb57de,807737f4dfec4085bfe6598a801f306c

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.