News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Paxton Thread

Started by TrainFan97, February 20, 2017, 07:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

Here's the official thread to discuss your thoughts on the upcoming HO Scale Paxton model.

They used to announce at least two engines in HO Scale a year, but lately, they've only been announcing one a year. I think we can blame economics for that. Not just that, but they haven't made any tender engines since Donald and Douglas. Nowadays, we just get tank engines and diesel shunters. We still have yet to get a diesel who ISN'T a shunter, like Daisy. Not saying the announcements were bad though. No no no. They were good.

I think choosing Paxton was an economical decision, for obvious reasons. They could be saving Sidney for the next time they need to do something like this.

I'm not against Paxton at all. I'm actually really looking forward to him. Paxton fans can finally get their hands on a model of him without going through the trouble of modelling. Paxton is one of those NON-antagonistic diesels. After Paxton, the only Diesel clone left would be Sidney. I don't see them making Splodge anytime soon, due to the fact that they're one-offs, but, Bachmann sometimes surprises us, after all, we're getting the Spiteful Brakevan in Large Scale, a Season 2 character, only speaking in one episode. I still wouldn't really expect the Splodge pair anytime soon.

Share your excitement, and your thoughts.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

JLK2707

Indeed. Another option is to make Sidney yourself if you want to.

sean1994rail

Quote from: JLK2707 on February 21, 2017, 07:38:56 AM
Indeed. Another option is to make Sidney yourself if you want to.
Only trouble with that in Sidney's case, is getting the face. Sidney has no trackmaster model which it's face would be the right size, unlike his wooden and take-n-play versions, which are considerably underscale.

TrainFan97

Diesel's tooling is definitely the most versatile in the Thomas line.

Since products kept getting delayed left and right, Bachmann has to take things lightly this year.

I think when they run out of Diesel recolors, and they need to do recolors again, they could do things like black James or LBSC Thomas from The Adventure Begins, or for Narrow Gauge, Smudger. Yes, all of them appeared in only one production, but, so did Spiteful Brakevan, who's really the Large Scale Brakevan with a RWS style face. Unsure about them making Splodge though.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

MeganekkoFury1126

Considering anything related to Thomas and the Magic Railroad is considered taboo today, and the fact that Diesel 10 or even Lady haven't been brought into Bachmann's conception, Splatter and Dodge being made sounds like one in a million shot.

Do kids in this generation even know who they are?...

TrainFan97

Quote from: MeganekkoFury1126 on February 21, 2017, 04:38:47 PM
Considering anything related to Thomas and the Magic Railroad is considered taboo today, and the fact that Diesel 10 or even Lady haven't been brought into Bachmann's conception, Splatter and Dodge being made sounds like one in a million shot.

Do kids in this generation even know who they are?...

That's exactly why I don't expect them, even if they are Diesel recolors. The movie itself wasn't even good either. Splatter and Dodge are out of the question. If anyone wants them, they're gonna have to modify Bachmann Diesel. A few modellers have done that.

If any other Diesel recolor has a chance at this point, it's Sidney.

Metal

I think we aren't gonna see another Class 08 for a while, I mean sure Sidney has broken his silence when Brenner and his team took over, even given his own episode but he's not prominent to where he has enough of a wide appeal, especially when compared to the most recent characters like Ryan and Philip even though their debuts were much latter than Sidney they've already had quite the exposure to where they already have a decent amount of appeal.

As for my thoughts on Paxton. Well, I'll say is that I will consider getting him, given how much I enjoy him as a character in the show. :)

TrainFan97

Quote from: Metal on February 21, 2017, 11:25:54 PM
I think we aren't gonna see another Class 08 for a while, I mean sure Sidney has broken his silence when Brenner and his team took over, even given his own episode but he's not prominent to where he has enough of a wide appeal, especially when compared to the most recent characters like Ryan and Philip even though their debuts were much latter than Sidney they've already had quite the exposure to where they already have a decent amount of appeal.

As for my thoughts on Paxton. Well, I'll say is that I will consider getting him, given how much I enjoy him as a character in the show. :)

It's true that Sidney still hasn't had as much appeal as Paxton, but you never know the next time Bachmann has to take it lightly.

It really would be interesting if Bachmann were to make Ryan, a more recent CGI character, but he's a LIKEABLE one, like Paxton. Their voices are almost identical, as Ryan and Paxton are both voiced by Steven Kynman.

Philip on the other hand, is a rather questionable character. Sure, he's annoying, but when you think about it, he's not as annoying as Charlie, or the DREADED LOGGING LOCOS. Philip doesn't tell stupid jokes, nor is he that clumsy. He just goes on and on about the time he had beat Gordon in a race, despite Gordon not joining in. Philip really needs to shut up about it, I will say that. If Bachmann ever does announce Philip, I'm worried about backlash. Though, since he's small and boxy, he'd be simple to make.

Chaz

Sidney's usage is pretty minimal compared to Paxton, so I don't necessarily think that the odds would really be in his favor.  If by chance it takes them a while to get Paxton out, I would honestly rather see them skip doing another engine in HO altogether and instead focus more on narrow gauge next year.

I think Paxton will turn out great, it's nice finally see Bachmann do a post season 7 character that fans actually like.  As I said earlier, I usually don't collect newer characters but I might make an exception for Paxton.  I never even cared for Arry and Bert either after their role in Stepney Gets Lost which is why I never bothered to get their models either.  I wouldn't be surprised if Paxton by himself did better than 'Arry and Bert combined.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

I guess those are good points about Sidney. He still hasn't had as much general usage as Paxton, and only now, he is slowly picking up. He needs more than just one episode in order to get the appeal he needs. I can't really argue with that. Still, Sidney's chances are MUCH higher than Splatter and Dodge will ever be. Unlike them, at least Sidney is a CGI character that kids would be familiar with. At least Sidney isn't a one-off character.

Will Paxton outsell 'Arry and Bert combined? I sure hope so. 'Arry and Bert did sub-par in sales.

DrNickRiviera995

Is this still coming out?  I don't see it listed on the website here.

TrainFan97

This thread needed a bump, since it is still relevant.

Paxton's image might get revealed in February, around the 2018 announcements. Rosie's image was revealed around this year's announcements.

Paxton's release will most likely be in summer, or at a stretch, spring.

Hopefully, he will have painted metal siderods. Plastic wouldn't be very strong.

DrNickRiviera995

Thanks for the reply.  Could we assume the same timeframe for Duncan then also?

Sorry for dumb questions, kinda fell out of intrest for a couple years and I'm figuring out what's been new to the line the past couple days.

Chaz

Duncan has never been announced or confirmed.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

DrNickRiviera995