News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by junkman, February 23, 2017, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkman

Problems with couplers, For some reason on my cars the couplers won't stay Hooked up or one coupler sits higher or lower. I am using Kaydee couplers installed on my cars by a local hobby shop. some couplers are frame mounted and some are truck mounted. Can someone tell me the cure. I know one sure cure, buy new Bachmann Cars and stuff only

Flare

I assume you're using HO or On30, right?

Truck and body mounts don't make as much difference as the coupler heights, track imperfections and grades will make them uncouple as could curves that are too tight.

I find that Kadee's metal couplers are a little bit better than Bachmann's plastic ones when installed properly.

In addition to different lengths, Kadee and Bachmann make couplers in three versions that adjust how high they are:  Standard shank, overshank, and undershank.  (In practice undershank couplers will be higher on the same car than an overshank)

Also, try not to mix "Standard" and "Scale" coupler heads, Kadee makes both.

When in doubt Kadee makes a "coupler gauge" that sits on the rails and a #5 coupler slots into the top at the correct height.

junkman

Thanks, I am HO scale, I forgot to mention the fact that the consist will run 10 or so rounds then the next time it will uncouple somewhere. Drives me crazy. From now on no more used stuff only new cars by Bachmann.

Flare

Having all the couplers be the same and approximately the same height should fix that problem.

But that's also why they say not to let trains run unattended.

junkman

Thanks,  I need to know which Kaydee couplers were put on my consist. Guess I should have requested standard shank on all cars. I know not to leave them unattended, been there, done that LOL.

Flare

Perhaps Kadee's HO coupler page will help:  https://kadee.com/htmbord/HO-Scale%20Couplers.htm

Standard shank on all cars may not be the way to go, one of my Bachmann cars sits lower than the others and needed undershanks to be compatible with the rest.

junkman

Well I can take my consist over to the hobby shop and tell them to fit all the cars together so they stay hooked up. I can't do it myself because my left hand doesn't work due to me having a stroke a few years back. Aggravating for me as I repaired Restaurant equipment and commercial refrigeration prior to having the stroke. My mind says do this, my hand says "what". Thanks for the info.

JerryB

While it is okay to have various brands of couplers, using one manufacturer's product will definitely cut down on unwanted disconnection.

While you are getting new couplers fitted, you should make certain the installer is using a coupler height gauge such as the Kadee one mentioned above. Note that that tool also checks the height of the uncoupling pin ('air hose') above the rail tops.

Another thing to check is your trackwork Many times, small differences in either side to side level, abrupt changes in vertical alignment, improper joiner insertion, or other track geometry problems can cause uncoupling. One help is to keep track of where the uncoupling occurs, then closely examine the track work in that area. That will help determine exactly what the problem is.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Len

Also check that no knucle springs are missing. The shop that did the install may not have noticed, or they may have been lost while bringing them home. Missing springs can cause random uncoupling.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: JerryB on February 23, 2017, 10:55:08 PM
using one manufacturer's product will definitely cut down on unwanted disconnection.

Jerry

How so? As long as knuckle couplers with springs are being used (in the same size category) and their heights are properly set due to the aforementioned Kadee Coupler Height Gauge, I have found no unwanted disconnections using different brand knuckle couplers with springs, together.  

Now, if you wish to talk about durability among brands, that is a different discussion entirely...

junk, a tip for knuckle couplers w/springs no matter what brand you use, put a teeny tiny drop of CA GEL glue on the spring closest to the shank; preferably bc it is easier, before installing them on the car.  This will help cut down on missing springs.
Keep Calm and Carry On