News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC "sounds"

Started by Mr_N_Scale, February 25, 2017, 06:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_N_Scale

I have GP7 DIESEL LOCO (DCC) D&RGW #5102. I would like to start learning and working the DCC "sounds". What are the minimum parts and/or accessories I need to start the sound function? I am currently using the EZ track system. Also, if I run more than one of the same engine will the sounds still activate?
Thanks, good forum.

gatrhumpy

You'll need to replace the decoder. Currently, Soudntraxx and ESU make sound decoders small enough to fit inside a hood diesel. Check out the ESU LokSound Select Micro and the Soundtraxx Econami.

Mr_N_Scale

I'm more than a little confused here. I purchased this engine as "DCC" equipped and now I have to replace the decoder? OK, there are so many accessories for this subject matter that it gets a little more confusing trying to figure it out. After replacing the decoder what else is needed? I am using the stock controller #44212 which is stated as DCC compatible.

spookshow

"DCC-Equipped" means that the locomotive is controlled by an internal DCC decoder. However, most DCC decoders (like the one in your GP7, pictured below) do not have sound functionality built into them. DCC-Sound decoders are quite a bit more expensive than non-sound decoders and include a speaker.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if anyone makes a sound decoder that would be a simple drop-in replacement for the stock (non-sound) GP7 decoder, but I suspect not.

-Mark

Mr_N_Scale

Ok, good reply. This clears up much. From the previous reply it sounds like the recommended decoders are really a "plug and play" because they have a speaker. Is this correct? I see that the recommended decoders have a few choices. Is one a base line so to speak or will all work for my situation I have described? Thanks for the feed back. Good forum.

spookshow

The main thing is to find one that will fit on top of the chassis. The stock decoder board has metal contacts on that bottom that conduct current from the chassis to the board. There are also a couple of wires running from the board to the motor. So, you'd have to duplicate all of that with any DCC-Sound decoder that you install.

It's not going to be entirely straightforward, so I don't know that a Bachmann GP7 would be the best place for a beginner to start (as far as doing a custom decoder installation). You might want to look into getting a locomotive that has a factory-installed sound decoder, or one that accepts a simple drop-in replacement for the stock decoder or PC board. For example, MRC makes a line of sound decoders designed to drop right into the Atlas line of Geep models (GP7/GP9/GP30/GP35) -

-Mark

gatrhumpy

Mark is right. If I were you, I would purchase either a sound package from reputable DCC sound installers out there, or get one that already has DCC and sound built into it.