Peter Witt Williams Trolley Zinc Rot

Started by SJC, February 26, 2017, 09:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SJC

FYI to the Bachmann folks, there are several, myself included, reporting their Williams Peter Witt trolley cars have zinc rot - literally - causing the trucks to crumble.

Maybe a recall is needed?
http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/williams-peter-witt-zinc-rot?reply=71397234057611821#71397234057611821

phillyreading

I just bought a Peter Witt street car, hopefully there will be no issues.
So far it seems like "SJC" is the only one to have a problem with his Peter Witt car.

Question for "SJC"; did you buy the Peter Witt new or used?

Lee F.

SJC

Quote from: phillyreading on February 26, 2017, 03:12:15 PM
So far it seems like "SJC" is the only one to have a problem with his Peter Witt car.

Lee F.

I bought it brand new, less than a year ago.

If you also read the OGR thread, that you commented on, you'll see that there are at least three people reporting the same issues with their trolley.

phillyreading

Quote from: SJC on February 26, 2017, 04:49:09 PM
Quote from: phillyreading on February 26, 2017, 03:12:15 PM

Lee F.

I bought it brand new, less than a year ago.

If you also read the OGR thread, that you commented on, you'll see that there are at least three people reporting the same issues with their trolley.

I just looked into the thread on OGR and there are 2 others with the same issue. There seems to be an issue with some of the Peter Witt trolley's if I am reading correctly.

Lee F.

N.H.&I.railfan

I purchased this trolley when first available in anticipation of building a layout which hasn't happened yet so it remained sealed in original shipping carton until yesterday when I read of this problem. Opened and examined it and unfortunately it too exhibits an indication of inferior castings displaying an early stage of zinc pest.

phillyreading

I will have to look closer at my Peter Witt trolley and see if it too has the problem.

Zinc pest as it is called is caused because of 2 main things; impurities in the metal or incorrect temperature in the casting when metal is hot, might cool too fast, or the metal was not hot enough.
FYI: my dad was a metallurgist with Carpenter Steel, a major steel firm in Pennsylvania, so I learned a few things about metal work.

Lee F.

SJC

Quote from: N.H.&I.railfan on February 27, 2017, 01:22:27 PM
I purchased this trolley when first available in anticipation of building a layout which hasn't happened yet so it remained sealed in original shipping carton until yesterday when I read of this problem. Opened and examined it and unfortunately it too exhibits an indication of inferior castings displaying an early stage of zinc pest.

Glad (not really!) to hear it isn't just me. Sorry you as well have this issue. It is such a nice little car and fun to run.

So, Bachmann, what do you say? Time for a recall and further investigation?

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'll look into this.
Thanks for the heads-up!
the Bach-man

SJC

Quote from: the Bach-man on February 27, 2017, 10:21:08 PM
Dear All,
I'll look into this.
Thanks for the heads-up!
the Bach-man

Thanks, please keep us up to date. Another user on the OGR forum has just reported their cars with this issue as well.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I am looking into this; in the meantime, if your streetcar develops this or any other problem, please call the service department.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

SJC

Trainworld has generously replaced my trolley but is there any update on what Williams will be doing about this? Having just purchased another Williams Die-Cast GG-1, I hope to not have this issue again!

the Bach-man

Dear SJ,
I spoke with the service manager who told me that this is not a widespread issue.
Whenever you do have a problem the first course is to return it to the dealer.
If this doesn't work out, call us.
We will always stand behind our products.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Bucksco

As a follow up - Bachmann is working on getting replacement trucks. We will post a notification when this happens.