News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C-19 Troubles

Started by LimaFan, April 17, 2017, 02:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LimaFan

I purchased a new C-19 over the winter. After running it for a couple hours, it seems to have some overheating issues, a smell through the stack and does not run at full power all the time. Does the motor typically run hot? After about fifteen minutes of running, there is enough heat that it can be felt by placing my hand on the boiler shell. The daughter board inside the tender gets hot as well, could this be causing my problems? It is very sluggish and won't pick up speed at all. I have tested it on rollers with the same result.

I am running DC, with only a couple cars during the break-in period and the locomotive was lubricated. It ran flawlessly for the first few days, then all the sudden these problems started to occur.

I have checked all the connections that I am able and didn't notice anything out of place inside boiler shell. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

RkyGriz

H. I would try calling the Bachmann service department and talking to one of the techs. If you bought this new from a dealer, then it should be covered by their warranty.  800-356-3910. They can give you the best info and instruct you on how to obtain service for your loco should it prove necessary.
Good luck!
Andrew

Kevin Strong

Sounds like something got cooked, but the question is what. The boiler should definitely not warm to the touch. In fact, I pulled the cooling fans out of mine, and still have not had any heat issues. I've got hundreds of hours on mine. The smell coming from the stack (the primary open-air vent for the boiler) would seem to indicate there's some electronic component that's no longer doing its job as it should.

Later,

K

LimaFan

Thanks for the replies!

I did forget to mention, the daughter board inside the tender gets extremely hot as well. I am not sure what exactly the function is, but the black squares on the board can barely be touched after running locomotive for just a few seconds.

RkyGriz

It sounds like there are some crossed wires in there. That's the only reason I can think of for it getting so hot and smelly. I would definitely contact service and not try taking it apart yourself as it could invalidate the warranty. You said in your op that it's new and a new item shouldn't have these issues from the get go. Did you buy it on Ebay by any chance? If you bought it on Ebay it could have been messed with by the seller who failed to mention it when he sold it to you. I had a kind of similar issue with another seller on Ebay (trainz) when I bought my Bachmann Spectrum South Pacific Coast 4-4-0 Centennial loco and tender. They said it was  "functional" in the item description,but the main drive gear was broken when it arrived . They knocked off $40.00 from the price I paid for it so that made me very happy. I fixed it myself for less than $20.00, so it was all good. They made an honest mistake ,and I did buy a bunch of other things from them for my Lionel G Scale 0-6-0 locos later on. But there are a lot of sellers on Ebay who say items are new but then it turns out that they are used and have issues. Anakramer (Al Kramer) on Ebay is one of the very best Ebay sellers, and I've bought a lot of Bachmann train cars and accessories from him over the last 5 or 6 years  without a problem . He is a straight shooter ,and I recommend him above all others as most items he sells are brand new, unless otherwise stated, and you can rely on him to get it right the first time.
Let us know how it goes with you baby!
Have fun!
Andrew

Bucksco

Sorry that you are having problems. It sounds like there is a short somewhere on the DC functions/fan side of the locomotive. We suggest contacting our service department - Rich Wahlen ext.232 and discuss repair or replacement options.