How to connect Dynamis + ProBox + 5A power booster?

Started by Metrolink, March 02, 2017, 10:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metrolink

I just purchased a Bachmann Dynamis (US version), ProBox, and Bachmann 5A power booster. However, nowhere in the Bachmann documentation does it explicitly tell you how to connect the power booster if you have a Dynamis mounted on a ProBox (the Bachmann power booster user manual never even mentions the ProBox). Here's how I believe you're supposed to connect the Dynamis command station, ProBox, and 5A power booster:

[NOTE: BACHMANN HAS CONFIRMED THAT THE DRAWING IS CORRECT.]

Main-track 5A power booster hook-up:

ProBox TRACK POWER --> power booster DCC IN --> power booster POWER OUT --> MAIN TRACK

Cable required: 2.5mm sub-mini plug-to-bare wire: [this cable is now provided.]
tip: unused
ring = positive (red)
sleeve = negative (black)

1. Attach the two bare wires to the green screw-terminal connector block on the ProBox --> TRACK POWER output.
2. Connect positive (red) wire to left terminal-screw. Connect negative (black) wire to right terminal-screw.
3. Insert the other end of the cable, the 2.5mm sub-mini plug, into the power booster --> DCC IN jack.
4. Connect bus wire to large POWER OUT screw-terminals on the power booster and connect to the MAIN TRACK.

Service-track (low-voltage) power hook-up:

Dynamis command station TRACK POWER --> SERVICE TRACK

Cable required: 3.5mm (1/8") mini plug-to-bare wire: [this cable is now provided.]

A. Create an electrically isolated track section using insulated joiners on both rails to use as a short service track (programming track).
B. Insert the 3.5mm mini-plug (1/8") into the Dynamis command station --> TRACK POWER output jack (which, when attached to a ProBox, is actually now the service-track output). [Alternatively, you can also just connect bare wires to the Dynamis command station --> TRACK POWER screw-terminal connector block.]
C. Attach the two bare wires on the other end of the cable to the SERVICE TRACK, observing correct polarity (e.g., RED = right rail; BLACK = left rail).

Questions:

• Are the procedures as described above all correct?
• At what amperage (i.e, when a short occurs) does the power booster trigger a power-off system shut-down?

Metrolink

I received my Dynamis command station and ProBox yesterday. I'll get my power booster on Monday (March 6, 2017), so hopefully I'll see a reply here from someone from Bachmann by then. Here's a better photo of the back of the command station and ProBox:

I also have one more question: Shown below, I installed the jumper on the ProBox in the "system 1" position (the default, with no jumper is "system 0"). I plan to buy a second Dynamis command station, but not a second ProBox. Will setting this jumper on this ProBox allow me to use the second Dynamis command station in the same room?

This confusion arises because there's no way to set a "system number" on a Dynamis command station alone (without a ProBox), which I'm assuming will behave as "system 0," even without a ProBox attached. Is this correct?

Hunt

While you are waiting for a reply from someone with Bachmann ---- here is info from two User Guides

Edit base ID
4 infra-red channels are available so that different layout in proximity can be controlled. The Command Station jumper and the handset to must operate on the same channel. Leave at 0 unless two or more Dynamis systems are being used in close proximity.

Dynamis User Guide,  page 19
    Click Here for Dynamis User Guide

3.9 BASE ID Jumpers
The jumpers are set on the top of the Pro Box. Set jumpers as indicated for the BaseID required to avoid a conflict with another Dynamis system in proximity. All handsets in use should also have their BaseID setting changed to match the Basestation before powering up. The default BaseID of 0 requires no jumpers and it is recommended only to change the BaseID if needed to avoid conflict with another Dynamis system used in the vicinity.
A pair of jumpers is included: standard components from electronics suppliers can be used.

E-Z Command Dynamis Pro Box User Guide, page 7
    Click Here for Dynamis Pro Box User Guide

Hunt

Also, in the Dynamis User Guide go to page 21, section How to use one Dynamis system in proximity with another

Hunt

an aside ---
DO NOT USE THE BATTERIES INCLUDED -- they leak.

The handset quickly drains batteries.  Suggest using quality heavy duty rechargeable batteries.

Bucksco

Passed your diagram onto our service guys and they said your info looks good. They did have a couple of comments:

There are normally two connections possible.

1) the DCC track output (as indicated in the diagram on the link),(track voltage)  and

2) the booster/power station output (if the command station has it ) (low voltage)

They also noted that although DCC does not have a + and -, it is useful to keep it in phase if you are using multiple power stations.

Hope this helps.

Metrolink

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to verify that, Yardmaster! Tell your service guys thanks as well! Also, do you know at what amperage the 5A power booster trips at? I'm planning to use DCC Specialties' PSX-1s to provide further protection. Are PSX-1s compatible with the Bachmann 5A power booster? Thanks again!