Close coupling the tender to the three truck shay.

Started by bobgrosh, December 01, 2007, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobgrosh

I got two water pipes to go between the loco and tender. A long one and a short one. The long one fits.

The DVD shows connecting the tender closer to the loco in the second hole of the draw bar.

OK, so where is the second hole. Do I take the draw-bar out and turn it around? Are there two holes on the other end I can't see? Or is there an alternate one in the parts bag I'm overlooking?

B0B

Curmudgeon

Dang.
Obviously you do not read the R reviews nor the links provided.
Did you properly terminate the wires to the circuit board?
Do you understand that running the loco on R-1 short-coupled can break u-joints (and parts not available)?
I suppose now you'll complain because the tender shell and frame are not free to flop around on the truck, just because the video shows it.
I'll let you figure out how to modify the truck so it flops (and it's permanent) and then never be able to back a train.

Now, based upon previous postings where you indicate you won't buy anything you have to remove from the track and turn over, I hesitate to say this:

Take loco off the track and turn it over.

Remove #2 truck.
Remove drawbar cover.
Reverse drawbar.
Re-assemble.

And, remember they did that drawbar that way on purpose.

bobgrosh

Quote from: TOC 
Dang.
Obviously you do not read the R reviews nor the links provided.

What R reviews? Where? and Links?

Did you properly terminate the wires to the circuit board?

Ahh? WHAT?

Do you understand that running the loco on R-1 short-coupled can break u-joints (and parts not available)?

Seems Obvious, but then I don't have any R1 curves, so no worry.

I suppose now you'll complain because the tender shell and frame are not free to flop around on the truck, just because the video shows it.
I'll let you figure out how to modify the truck so it flops (and it's permanent) and then never be able to back a train.
Actually, I was wondering why, in the video,  the tender jerked and learched. I had decided it had to be on some very bad track or something. I'm glad to hear that my Shay won't be floping arround like in the video.

Thanks for the good news.

Now, based upon previous postings where you indicate you won't buy anything you have to remove from the track and turn over, I hesitate to say this:

Take loco off the track and turn it over.

Remove #2 truck.
Remove drawbar cover.
Reverse drawbar.
Re-assemble.

And, remember they did that drawbar that way on purpose.

OK, so then the only solution is to drill a new hole.  Assuming of course, that NOT using R1 is the only reason that one should NOT close couple. Again, everything is R5 or larger.  Any other NO NOs with close coupling?

Curmudgeon

Garden Railways Review.
Has a link to the required, as in REQUIRED termibation and strain relief for the wires, or you are going to come to a screeching halt.

The drawbar is purposefully installed backwards.

So you HAVEv to make a conscious effort to reverse it and close-couple.

Remove the #2 truck.
Remove the drawbar cover.
Remove the drawbar and invert it.
Now you will have 2 holes.

GR Review, June 2007, page 117-118.
Link: http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/1008447/ShowPost.aspx