COnnectors to accomodate brass and steel track in Large scale?

Started by Billguss, March 13, 2017, 05:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billguss

I know combining two types of track is difficult.  That's why one needs a plastic type connector.  Does Bachmann make something that allow these two types to connect.  If not I'll have to replace all of the steel track I bought and change all to brass.  E bay anyone?

Loco Bill Canelos

Bill,

If you are talking about connecting the steel alloy track with the blades sticking out of the ends to the brass track the answer is no.  If you are talking about connecting Bachmann brass track to other brands track, standard rail joiners or rail clamps will work.  If you are going to use steel alloy track outdoors it will rust away very quickly

It may be possible to connect Bachmann Steel alloy track to the brass track by removing the blade from the end of the steel alloy track and using a rail clamp to connect them.  There are several brands of rail clamps. and one may work better than another. you will have to experiment and see what works.  I would consider this only if your layout is indoors. but...

If finances are not a problem I recommend changing to all brass track as soon as you get the chance. the steel alloy track is difficult to maintain on a year around layout, and gets worse the more you clean it.  Even indoors in high humidity this track will rust.

Good luck,

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!