News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command DCC

Started by centerbeam, March 08, 2017, 11:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

centerbeam

I am considering a Bachmann EZ Command DCC system for a future switching layout. Never more than 2 locomotives and at most 4 turnouts. I would appreciate feed back on two questions. Is it advantageous to use EZ track with their dcc system? Secondly do you avoid derailing and electrical problems by using their longer turnouts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Flare

QuoteIs it advantageous to use EZ track with their dcc system?

That depends on your definition of advantageous.  Having built-in roadbed and decoders is an advantage, however E-Z Track is noisier than regular track on cork roadbed and you can get stationary decoders to operate regular turnouts.

Also, the E-Z Command comes with an E-Z Track connector and a bare wire connector, so you can use it with standard track.

However, the E-Z Command system is VERY basic, it can't fine-tune starting voltages or reset malfunctioning decoders.  If you can afford it, I would also set up a programming track with an NCE Power Cab or Digitrax Zephyr Xtra.

QuoteSecondly do you avoid derailing and electrical problems by using their longer turnouts?

Engines with short wheelbases usually have issues with unpowered turnout frogs, and tight curves (on turnouts or otherwise) cause problems for locomotives with long rigid wheelbases.

The best way to avoid problems with the latter is to use the longest curves and turnouts your layout space will allow.