Bachmann Spectrum HO 4-4-0 Southern Green Loco 83406

Started by Warflight, March 10, 2017, 06:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

So... Newbie here (well, I was collecting back in the 80s, but ex wife sold, or destroyed all of my trains early on, but I'm getting back into the hobby once again)

But that's not what I'm here to ask. I just recently acquired a Bachmann Spectrum HO 4-4-0 Southern Green Loco 83406.

It says it is DCC equipped, and to be honest, I haven't a clue what any of that means. Do I need a special controller? Does that mean really cool sound effects and the like? WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!! <panic>

Anyway... so, I did like any normal person, and after the impulse buy, I decided to look up this beauty (it's "old/new" stock... still sealed) and to my surprise, I cannot seem to find any information at all about this engine 9discontinued, I should think, but when?)

Anyhoo... if anyone has any information they would like to share, about what the DCC entails, or any technical information on this engine, I would be much obliged.

Oh, and for those curious... I paid $100, and free shipping from a comic shop, and I ALMOST feel a bit guilty over that after looking them up on eBay.

ACY

You do not need a special controller, the decoder is dual-mode so it will also operate on analog DC. It will not have any sound however. The going rate for the model is actually about $80 or so by the way.
DCC is digital command control, a DCC controller (system) varies in cost from $100 to upwards of $500 depending on capabilities. DCC allows you to control multiple DCC equipped locomotives at a time without necessitating the use of block wiring. It also allows you to potentially program CVs (to adjust the settings so to speak) and to toggle sound effects such as a bell, horn or whistle or dim the lights etc.

So in short you can run the locomotive with any DC power source, a DCC system is not required and would not necessarily be worth purchasing depending on what you want to do exactly. 

Warflight

Awesome! Normally I'd say it's a bit disappointing about the price, but then, I'm still happy (and again, after looking at them on eBay that are selling, I still feel lucky. It's not like I would ever sell ANY of my engines)

Warflight

Flare

In addition to eliminating the necessity of block wiring, DCC also lets you have a hands-off end-to-end layout with reverse loops at each end.

"Reverse loop modules" take care of the polarity on the loops and trains can continue back onto the mainline without stopping or needing you to intervene.  (Assumung you have a the type of turnout that will allow a train through against the points without shorting or derailing.)

Warflight

Well that kinda changes everything! Man, the new stuff since I collected in the 80s! I'm loving it!

Flare

Indeed.  If you get a DCC controller, you can adjust a locomotive's starting voltage, acceleration rate, max speed, and more.

The locomotive basically has an onboard computer you can reprogram!  (Don't worry if you mess up, you can reset them to factory settings too.)

I would advise a NCE PowerCab or Digitrax Zephyr Xtra as a starter system because they can change almost any variable if you want to fine-tune your locomotives and are expandable if you choose to operate a more demanding layout.

Terry Toenges

Flare - That's what I'm planning on doing with mine. I have the reverse loop modules and am hoping I can let it run back and forth without flipping the turnouts each time. I just got my base done and am going to start laying the track.
I wondered which way would be best to set the turnout? Aligned for the straight leg or aligned for the curve. I have never worked with reverse loops before or tried to do it this way.
If it doesn't work with letting it go through the Bachmann turnouts without flipping, then I'm going to have to figure out how to have it flip automatically. The ones with the reverse loops will be the standard turnouts not the numbered ones.
I wondered about getting DCC turnouts and if that would affect doing as above without flipping. Sometimes, I might want to back into a siding within the loop and have to control the turnout to be ably to do that.
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

For the record, I'm using non-DCC unnumbered Bachmann E-Z track turnouts on my loops.

I prefer to run my trains straight as they enter the loop and have them return on the curve, but one turnout proved to be tempermental and would derail my trains as they entered the turnout above switching speeds and worked better set for the curve until I replaced it with another turnout that lets the trains run straight with no problems.

The Bachmann E-Z Track turnouts I've used have spring-loaded points and plastic frogs so they move aside as wheel flanges roll through against them and spring back to straight  position when the train is gone and don't short out when metal wheels touch them upon returning.

I don't currently have any DCC turnouts or crossovers on my layout at this time, but I've heard that Bachmann's occasionally need to be reset.

As for automatically switching the points for the train as it enters and exits, I imagine an Arduino could be programmed to sense the train's direction as it passes through the loop and switch the points accordingly.  But I'm not much of a programmer.

Terry Toenges

Thanks Flare. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible without doing a lot of extra electronics.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Well, I got it... it came in the mail a couple of days ago, and I LOVE it!

I just wish it could pull a load! It's got good weight to it, it just doesn't have any traction at all... the slightest incline (like, can't even tell it's an incline) and the wheels just spin on the track. That's with only two cars.

But it's just SO BEAUTIFUL!