News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Wiper and Underframe replacement.

Started by Joe Baldwin, April 03, 2017, 09:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Baldwin

I've read and hunted for a tutorial or write up on replacing the underframe and wipers on the 2-8-0.  Everything I've read about the subject is 2008 or 2009 and it says it is really tricky and frustrating.  I've tried twice and there just has to be a secret to doing this.  Any new information out there on this.  The YouTube stuff on Bachmann repair is less than helpful.

Thanks,
Joe 

Joe Daddy

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H114X-IS001.PDF

The above link is the diagram, showing the underframe part that holds the wipers.

It's been a loooong time since I've had a Connie stripped down.  I have taken the bottom plate off and replaced it with success.  As I recall, replacing the plate involved a flattened toothpick to gently line up the brushes while putting the plate back in place.

No doubt you are finding it difficult because of the molded on brakes.  They will go down between the wheels with some gentle pressure.  AND they will spread a little to help get the plate into place.  Like I said, it's been a long time, but I don't recall having to make a jig or anything to get this part in place.  Not much help I know...

Regards,

Jonathan

Joe Baldwin

Jonathan,
Not what I was hoping to hear!   :(   I've read your excellent work on this engine and appreciate your superb contributions to the cause.

The tooth pick or a sharp needle is a good idea.  I've 6 of this Locomotive and one is at Bachmann for repair, suspected decoder and loco locked up.  4 of the 6 have some issue with the wipers.  I'm going to see how the repaired one comes back.  I've had these since about 2007 or so and run the wheels off them so to speak.  I could justify just sending them in for repair/replacement at $45 plus shipping would be worth it if I got another 10 years out them. 

I wonder how Bachmann manufactures them?

Joe
Joe Daddy

jonathan

Yep.  Best model locomotive, ever!  I have six, too:  4 regular and 2 with sound.  I run 'em like mad.  So far, I've replaced two belts. I clean the wheels regularly and pick out the fuzz that gets caught up in the front wipers.

I also put a tiny drop of light oil in the eccentric crank from time-to-time.  Jim Banner used to say that was the first part to wear out, if you run these babies hard... and I do.

They gotta wear out some time, but not so far.

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

I just got my first 2-8-0 today! A 1998 Spectrum "Southern Crescent" green, engine #722.

It didn't work at first... it was just the sound of a spinning motor (the box was still factory sealed) but I ended up taking it apart, seeing the motor and belt were fine, but there was no oil at all in it... put a drop of oil, put it back together (was going to open the wheels, but after removing the screws, I decided there was NO WAY it was going back together under my watch, so I screwed them back on) and now... it's working like a CHAMP! I broke it in at varying speeds on my engine cradle, and plan to set up some EZ Track tomorrow, and give her a good run around. (Oh, and I kinda like that the engineer, and fireman look like Chinese women... it makes for some good conversation)

Warflight

Okay, I take it back... works on the cradle, not on track.... after a simple search (and what seemed like 20,000 articles on the 2-8-0s having cracked gears on the motor) I checked out the motor...

The gear spins freely. I don't see a crack, but, it spins independently of the motor.

The fly wheel doesn't come off, so I can't just replace the gear... I have to replace the entire motor assembly.

Guess what's out of stock in the parts store?

I love getting a new engine... still factory sealed, only to have it be DOA, and out of warranty, because it's "New/Old" stock, and not from an authorized dealer...

WoundedBear

Quote from: Warflight on April 06, 2017, 05:14:46 PM

I love getting a new engine... still factory sealed, only to have it be DOA, and out of warranty, because it's "New/Old" stock, and not from an authorized dealer...

And almost 20 years old. You get what you pay for.

Sid

Warflight

Maybe... I had high hopes, seeing how it had never been opened, and even the cellophane was still intact. (and I paid quite a bit for it, too)