News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

LOCOMOTIVE ID

Started by DaveD, March 23, 2017, 12:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveD

How can I tell what kind of Bachmann locomotive I have. Is it an F7, F7A, F7B, EMD F9, etc...? (see attached photo)
Also, depending on what type of locomotive I have, how do I convert it over to DCC (with sound)? And what would I need to do so?
All I know at this point is that it's a made in China Bachmann locomotive that was distributed through Hawthorne Village.
I'm very new at this, so please bare with me. A prompt response will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dave D in Newport, NH

ACY

Dave, I do not advise that you publicly post your email online. Also please see the FAQ section on how to upload photos, you cannot attach any photos, you must use your own photo hosting site such as Photobucket. Without seeing any photos I would venture to say your locomotive is an F7 (A unit). Depending on the age of the unit and your abilities with a soldering iron and otherwise; it might just be easier to buy an F7 with DCC already equipped and swap the shells. And by convert it over to DCC, did you also want sound? If so that would cost about $100 and be more difficult due to space constraints, in which case you can buy one that already has sound if that is what you want.

DaveD

Thanks ACY,
I've modified my posting accordingly, (& added the picture). After looking at the picture, do you think I still have an F7A locomotive?

West Bound

This appears to be a EMD F7A unit. Like ACY said. cost would be at least $100 and difficult to install. You can buy a Bachmann DCC, sound value for the same amount. If you want to keep the Patriots paint the shells my be inter-changeable. Someone else may be able to give you more info on this.  -John West

bapguy

Len

Adding DCC motor and light control is fairly straight forward. Although this shows using a TCS decoder, the procedure is the same for anyones basic hard wire decoder. The F9 shown is very similar to the F7 internally.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/EMD%20F9/EMD_F9.html

Adding sound is a bit more complicated, since you have to find space for the speaker. It's also much more expensive.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I hate the PATRIOTS!  Throw it out!  LOL  :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Warflight

Quote from: jbrock27 on March 26, 2017, 07:48:44 AM
I hate the PATRIOTS!  Throw it out!  LOL  :D

Heh! You sound like my dad!

Though, my dad (being a retired truck driver) wasn't a big fan of trains in general, HOWEVER, were he to ever see a Green Bay train, he would buy it, I'm sure!

jbrock27

Quote from: Warflight on March 26, 2017, 04:57:46 PM
Heh! You sound like my dad!

Your Dad sounds like a good man!  :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

BIG BEAR

Father always knows BEST.
Smart man.
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.