News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann F7A and F7B DCC Ready

Started by jonathan, March 24, 2017, 08:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Once in a great while, I stray from my beloved steamers to work on a diesel project.

I've got the DCC ready F7A and F7B, which are quite economical.  Both tested well, but did sound a little dry.  Unusual, since Bachmann locos are usually lubed to the gills:

The shells come off with four screws underneath, on either side of the fuel tank.  If one is careful, it's possible to remove the F7A shell without removing the front coupler.

I removed the dummy plug on the B unit and plugged in a decoder.  Then took a photo so some new to DCC can see what we keep talking about.  Notice the guts of both locomotives are identical, save for the headlight and crew figures:

A great plus is the pre-formed spot for a speaker if one wishes to add sound.

I've also replaced all the couplers with Kadees.  This required a bit of filing on the couplers, as well as filing out the coupler box to accept the spring.  Requires about a minute of filing for each coupler, so not a big job:

I put on a scale head coupler on the the front of the A unit and cut off the trip pin.  This is for looks and to make room for the details which come later.

That's all I have so far.  More to follow...

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

Though I'm not normally a diesel fan (except Vin Diesel... because... I mean... come on... the Riddick movies are kinda sweet!) I will be watching this with great enjoyment! I ran across your Mikado build completely by accident one day, and am rather addicted to the stuff you post now!

Amazing work... amazing photography, and just plain inspiring. (as in... I've been inspired by your Mikado work to want to do some upgrades on a few passenger cars)

jonathan

Thanks much!  I appreciate it.

OK... I've removed all the window glazing.  The headlight lens won't budge... will just have to tape that over when I'm ready.

Drilled 30 holes and put in the lift rings:

Followed up by giving the A unit a number, the extra grabs near the, um, pilot(?), then building up that unusual cut lever configuration:

The cut lever was made from .015 steel wire, lift rings, and a few fiddly bits (that a professional MR term  ;) ).

The discoloration on the bottom of the nose was there out of the box.  It won't matter, as I will be weathering both diesels before it's all over.

Next up:  drilling 56 holes and bending wire for all the grabs needed.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Grab irons... the paint and glue are still wet:

I also repainted the crew. Somehow, they just didn't look right:

I cut out two of the side windows, so they'll be easier to see.

Next:  a bath for the shells tonight... A shot of dullcote in the morning... a bit of weathering, and we're just about done.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Here are some completion shots:

I was all about trying to improve the crew and make them more visible.  It's still really hard to see them, let alone photograph them:

There is an odd shaped grab iron that's suppose to be on either side of the nose, up high.  I'm going to practice that for a while I think.  Gotta figure out a way to make that shape uniformly.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

This pic gives a fairly clear shot of the 'eyebrow' grabs. The nose grab is just below the windshield wiper:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Thanks, guys.

Yep, that nose grab is a tricky one.  My plan is to add the eyebrows at the same time I add that funky grab... once I figure out how to bend it.  :)

That is one shiny, modernized F7.  Would love to have that in my back yard!

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK, one last shot:  the obligatory "on the layout" scene...

I've been planting trees lately, so some debris around the tracks.

R,

JV

Len

Making 'ladder grabs', the bumps on each end are to keep a ladder from sliding off, is fairly straight forward. Drive a couple of brads into a board, then lay a straight legged grab between them (dotted lines). Then bend the legs around the brads to create the ladder holding bumps (exagerated for clarity):

The spacing of the bumps looks to be about the same as the handrails for the main doorway. The FRA later mandated grabs all the way up the side of the nose, but to me that is aesthetically unappealing.

Len

jonathan

Thanks, Len... I'll give it a shot. Sounds like the jig I was looking for. Also, it really helps to know why the grab looks that way.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Len's jig tip has worked out pretty well.  I wasted a bit of wire practicing and adjusting.  However, the lesson was worth the effort:

I have since made a pair of eyebrows.  Been test-fitting and adjusting... Trying to prevent pulling a 'Mr. Spock' with the brows:

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

Terrific looking and a great tip  :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Looking good! Glad I could help. Don't let the maintenance crew fall off the ladder.

Len

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.