Which decoder is in the 2-8-8-4 for JMRI purposes and is there a way to know?

Started by kmcsjr, March 25, 2017, 12:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmcsjr

Folks,
All I can find, on the website is " including a new advanced Bachmann/Lenz DCC decoder with back EMF,"

JMRI calls it a "manufacturer 101 version 81 no such decoder defined"

I get this ambiguity on all Bmann decoders (Except the Berk Tsunami)

If I get this figured out, I might even want to figure out how to contribute to JMRI and define the decoders there... But today, I'm just stuck on.... What is it?

Thanks
Marty

Hunt

What it is...

From Bachmann info –The factory installed decoder in the Bachmann N scale EM-1 2-8-8-4 locomotive is a Bachmann manufactured DCC decoder using Lenz design and firmware.

Click Here for documentation of the Bachmann EM-1 Advanced Decoder. (I have not checked the decoder against it.)

An aside ---

Quote from: kmcsjr on March 25, 2017, 12:46:48 PM
. . .
I get this ambiguity on all Bmann decoders (Except the Berk Tsunami)
. . .

Bachmann N scale 2-8-4 Berkshire is factory equipped with a SoundTraxx OEM Bachmann Sound Value decoder. The Sound Value decoder is not a Tsunami decoder. Sound Value is in a different SoundTraxx family of decoders and has different feature set than Tsunami. 

kmcsjr

Thanks Hunt
I got that same link, on he JMRI site today. I was able to ALMOST finish a decoder file. It runs my loco (nicely), but is missing some lighting control. If it gets added to JMRI, I will let people know. It's my first decoder attempt, so I don't want to share it, before they approve it.

Hunt

Marty,

Not relevant if JMRI approves your work.  JMRI has approved what has turned out to be a JMRI decoder file with the content based on wrong assumptions influenced by misinformation.

What is relevant is the decoder in the locomotive. Does its JMRI decoder file content match the CVs actually on the decoder and are used by the decoder firmware?

kmcsjr

Chuckling
I got most of it. There are a few lighting CVs, I couldn't add, and a few I couldn't figure out how to edit, because they refered to other files. I'm going one of the responders to my thread, takes up finishing it soon.