News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Wasn't sure where else to post, but since we might see new products there, will I be seeing anyone at the National Train Show this afternoon? It's my first train show.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

Unfortunately not this year, since there was only one show at the west coast last year where there was really no new info or products on display so I couldn't really help anyone there. 

Seeing as how they didn't even bother to add any updates on any of the 2017 Thomas stuff in the NMRA PDF, if any of the new products are on display it would be highly appreciated if you would be able to post pictures of them.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Rickenbacker 325

https://ibb.co/jh5dxF

Found this on twitter. I am guessing it is fake, but its a very good fake if it is.

Chaz

Oh that's just mean, especially during NMRA. :P

But in all seriousness that's some pretty convincing photoshop, and funnily enough if Paxton does get delayed til next year he probably wouldn't be wrong on the next engine coming out...

Plow_Bender

Saddest part is some people we're actually gullible enough to believe it was real...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Anthony P2

Ok in all fairness, it actually does look real. its some really good photoshop. It is pretty mean though. I'm starting to hate when the fanbase does stuff like this...like the wooden railway prank from a few weeks ago. this just makes people untrustworthy.

TrainFan97

If it was real, Sidney would've been announced this year, but he wasn't, so I'm not buying it. It's a phony. Someone was REALLY good at Photoshop.

But there's still a very good chance he'll get announced next February.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TrainCollector

I've been reading through the comments and there are a lot of good points. I'm going to give my opinions and who I think should be released. Here are my explanations for why these characters may be released in the future. I'm only on the topic of engines for right now. I will talk about rolling stock in another post.

HO scale:

DCC sound value on board Thomas
DCC sound value on board Percy
DCC sound value on board Diesel: before I talk about new characters I'd like to point out that Bachmann is very popular with DCC and sound. I've chosen these three characters because they would have the most appeal as far as sound. Plus it would be nice to see DCC in the Thomas line. It would introduce a lot of Thomas modelers to DCC. For packaging These engines I think should come in a window display box with foam inserts since the sound value is delicate rather than the blister packs. Although the cost of these would be a pain, I can promise you Bachmann many Thomas fans including myself would buy these. It all depends on your preference I guess....

Hiro: the first CGI exclusive character and a very popular character in the show. Hiro could easily navigate 18" radius curves seeing as how Bachmann has released several 2-8-2 locomotives that run on the tighter radius. Hiro would be a great addition to the 2018 or 2019 range.

Diesel 10: let's face it. Alot of fans want a tv series accurate Diesel 10 seeing as how he's the ultimate villain in the tv series. I could see Bachmann producing Diesel 10 with an evil smirking CGI face. I'm trying to stay realistic here. The claw would be able to rotate and be articulated and it would also be nice to see it have an open and closing claw but it most likely will remain closed if Bachmann decides to make one. Diesel 10 is the one engine I'm dying for Bachmann to make. If the producers of Bachmann read this I really hope they take Diesel 10 into consideration because we would have a lot of remakes of Thomas and the Magic Railroad and I think Diesel 10 would be a great choice for 2018. Fingers crossed for this one!

Stanley: while Stanley doesn't appear too often in the spotlight. He's still a popular character and like Hiro, has a lot of appeal. Since Rosie was released 10 years exactly after she made her debut in the tv series, it's likely Stanley will get a release as well in the future. Stanley shouldn't be that hard to produce.

Daisy: She's made several appearances in the Tv series since she's been reintroduced in CGI. While she is a much longer engine with a longer wheelbase Bachmann would most likely recommend her to run on 22" radius curves. But hey Spencer is a long engine and he can navigate 18" radius curves. Daisy might be able to do the same. I'm sure Bachmann would make her seeing as how Rosie has been produced.

HO Narrow Gauge

Sir Handle
Peter Sam
Duncan: I already see at least one of these being made for 2018/2019 I don't even need to go into details.

Large Scale

Mavis: like the HO range Bachmann I think wants to introduce more female characters. We have Emily in the range so why not Mavis? She'd be a great addition to Diesel who will be released most likely within the next year.

Edward: James was made, Bachmann has made 4-4-0 large scale locomotives in the past so Edward is a great possibility.

Henry: now I know Henry is a big engine but Bachmann could easily make Henry in my opinion. Henry is a 4-6-0 and Bachmann have released several 4-6-0 locomotives that run on 4' diameter curves like the Thomas engines. Henry could navigate those curves too seeing as how he's got a proper wheel base set up for it. Maybe Bachmann will make Henry in large scale. If they do he'd most likely be slightly shorter in length but still a good piece for 2018/2019. Maybe even for 2020.

Well that's all I have for now. I hope Bachmann Trains take these into consideration. I know many fans would want these in the Thomas line. More will be added to the post when we see what gets released in 2018.

Chaz

I wouldn't mind if Bachmann released DCC/sound in HO, but I would be curious as to what kind of approach they would take with it. I think they would probably do the same thing that they did with Large scale like how you mentioned and do a few characters and maybe include a separate sound module(s) like they did with large scale.  I.E. one with the steam team and Spencer (like the large scale one), another for all the diesels in the range (including Salty and Paxton) and another for other classic characters characters like Duck, Oliver, Bill, Ben, Donald and Douglas.  Therefore covering the rest of the characters in the range, (at least the characters that actually matter ;)), if fans wanted to do DCC with other HO scale engines. 

I think the rest of your possibilities are likely except Diesel 10, Hiro, and large scale Henry due to the size and pricing of these characters.  Edward in large scale is a little bit of a stretch in my opinion considering recent large scale announcements.  If they ever get around to doing any tender engine at all in large scale though, then I think Edward has the best chance.

TrainCollector

Yeah you're right on that. I just really wish Bachmann would make Diesel 10. But hey maybe they will you never know. After all we got Oliver. The DCC sound moduals sound great for HO scale by the way. This page is full of endless possibilities. Fingers crossed hoping we get some of these for 2018/2019.

Metal

Diesel 10's claw would breach the NMRA standards, which is basically the loading gauge for model rail.

TrainCollector

Who thinks Sir Handle, Duncan or Peter Sam will be next?

TrainFan97

One thing I was surprised to see in Journey Beyond Sodor was that two of those red diesel shunters from The Great Race actually SPOKE. It may sound like a long shot, but it would be cool to have merchandise of them in some way. Since it would be too confusing and complicated to make models of all of them, I'd say it's best to just choose ONE of the diesels, and call it "Mainland Diesel" if Mattel ever decides to make merchandise of them. They all look exactly the same, except their faces having very slight differences.

Again, if Mattel ever decides to make merchandise of the red diesel shunters, I think they should just choose one of them, and call it "Mainland Diesel".

As for a Bachmann model of a mainland diesel shunter, it's definitely a long shot, since they've only appeared in two specials so far, and have yet to appear in an episode, but Bachmann does have the tooling for it. If Bachmann ever does make a mainland diesel shunter, I'm sure they can be good sellers, since people wouldn't just want to buy one, especially those with cool layouts. You can make your layout look like a busy goods yard. Getting multiple mainland diesels would be just like getting multiple red coaches or troublesome trucks for example, except the shunters are engines with motors, and not rolling stock like trucks and coaches.

A Bachmann Mainland Diesel is a long shot, but it definitely has more chance than Splatter and Dodge ever will, that's for sure, since at least they're in the CGI series, while Splodge have no relevance whatsoever, being one-off characters from a 2000 movie that wasn't even good.

After Paxton, the Diesel recolor with the most chance is Sidney, who could be more likely if Paxton gets delayed. If Bachmann manages to release Paxton this year, then the next engine could be one with a new tooling.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TrainCollector

Yeah I see your point there. An engine with a new tooling I'd say could be Diesel 10 or Hiro I know the cost to make them would be high but they'd be great sellers. Yes Diesel 10 would breach NMRA standards but he'd still be a good seller. Hiro would probably have a better chance at being made than Diesel 10 would though.

TrainFan97

Sidney and Ulli are two Diesel recolors Bachmann should consider the next time they have to do a recolor. Sidney is the more likely one. Right now, we don't even know whether or not Paxton is delayed. At least Rosie wasn't released before Oliver.

For recolors, I feel that Ulli has more chance than LBSC Thomas or Black James, which only appeared in The Adventure Begins. Not sure about Cherry Rosie, since Bachmann Rosie literally just got released in her original lavender paintjob.

Ulli is the only Bridlington diesel shunter to be named. If he were to get made, they might just release him as "Mainland Diesel".

Rheneas might get released this December, otherwise, he'd be the next "Bachmann Oliver" who took two years to get out there.

For new toolings, the most likely candidates are Ryan, Stanley, Philip, or (possibly) Daisy.