News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

Bachmann hasn't announced any resin buildings for two years. If we get another one, it should be Ffarquhar Station. Like you said, it can have one platform like in the model series, rather than being double-sided like in the CGI series. That would save resources. Having that station would help you complete your Thomas branch line.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

I agree that another lineup of resin buildings should be done as well as a new water tower, only for narrow gauge.  I can definitely see Ffarquhar being the next station, as well as the ruin castle and the Sodor Shipping Company (to go with Cranky and the Brendam warehouse).

The fourth building I think should be a shed for narrow gauge.  I've mentioned these sheds before, and I think they would go great for those who want more buildings based off season 4, like the Trackside station.

BUT, who's to say that the Talyllyn proportions on there engines and the recent Talyllyn based rolling stock should stop there?  Why not do a building based off one of the ones at Talyllyn.  This shed in particular would look very nice, especially since the real shed is made out of slate.  I would be content with either scenario for a shed, but with some of the choices Bachmann has made for narrow gauge in the past I wouldn't put it past them to add a Talyllyn building in the range.

Which would you guys rather have out of these two types of sheds?
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

A Talyllyn shed sounds like a cool idea.

If we get another analog sound-fitted engine in HO Scale, I'd love to have Diesel. Diesel's HO Scale model can easily have a sound chip. Hearing the sound of his engine, and periodic horn. Thomas still remains the only sound-fitted engine in HO Scale. I think Diesel with sound would make an excellent seller. Percy seems too small.

There's also a chance sound-fitted HO Diesel can have black siderods, but whether or not that gets changed is up to Mattel, not Bachmann. Sound-fitted Thomas is a bestseller. If Diesel gets an HO model with a sound chip, he would sell great.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TerencetheTractor525

Some great suggestions you have there Sparks and Chaz! The Signal Box Gantry is something that I cannot believe I did not think of. I can already visualize the Bachmann Sodor engines running underneath it. Although Chaz, I must inquire. Wouldn't the Sodor Shipping Company be too big? As much as I would love if Bachmann made it, it would probably retail for an incredibly high price. Just look at how expensive the resin single engine shed that came out in 2015 is for example. Yet, the narrow gauge shed is another fantastic idea. I would personally prefer the Season 4 version as that is what I grew up with. However, the Tallylyn version would probably make more sense from an economic standpoint. Just like how we saw with Skarloey, railway modelers who are trying to make the Talyllyn Railway would purchase the shed; but who knows? Maybe Bachmann will consider both due to their small size  :)

One other building that I thought of is Neptune Refreshments from Season 4. https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/b/b3/PeterSamandtheRefreshmentLady27.png/revision/latest?cb=20160913164830
In fact, an assortment of buildings of the Lakeside Scene from Season 4 would be wonderful and would blend beautifully together.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/d/d9/PeterSamandtheRefreshmentLady29.png/revision/latest?cb=20160913165818
Though, when thinking logically, I would be very happy if Bachmann even just made Neptune Refreshments. It is an iconic building with a lot a charm and screams narrow gauge nostalgia. In addition, it played a significant role in a marvelous episode with our favorite green narrow gauge engine who may get announced next year  ;). Moreover, its small size allows it to look attractive on any model railway layout. After all, it was used in the later seasons of the television series in different locations.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/d/d7/TooHotForThomas63.png/revision/latest?cb=20170119175441

Hopefully, Bachmann will consider Neptune Refreshments as well.
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TerencetheTractor525

Once again, the first two links are too small. Here is a link to Neptune Refreshments on the Thomas Wikia...
http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Neptune_Refreshments

TrainFan97

For Narrow Gauge, Peter Sam is inevitable.

Chaz

The Sodor Shipping company is a fairly big building but it's simple tooling that really wouldn't take as much time to put together.  I could see size being the only issue with it.

Neptunes refreshments doesn't sound like a bad idea, I think having that available with two other buildings in a multi-pack with kits like Tidmouth and Knapford wouldn't be a bad idea since I've seen various small buildings available in one kit before.  I'd be all for it.

I don't know if I would go as far to say that Peter Sam is "inevitable", but he is definitely the most promising choice left at the moment compared to Sir Handel and Duncan since Bachmann will likely make him based on his basis' proportions like Skarloey and Rheneas with his giesl funnel.  As soon as Sir Handel's basis Sir Haydn will be finished with its overhaul Bachmann can then make him based on Talyllyn proportions which would also make him a popular seller.  Meanwhile most likely like Rusty, I'm sure Duncan would be based on his CG render due to Mattel's marketing standards.

TerencetheTractor525

I certainly agree with you Chaz on that the Sodor Shipping Company would not be too hard to make. However, other than size, I think that the other problem would be its price, which then poses the question: how well would it sell?

On a different note, I'm very glad that your're all for Neptune Refreshments  :). Although, I actually do not fully understand what you mean by the multi-packs with the Tidmouth and Knapford kits. Is it possible if you could elaborate on that? I apologize for poor comprehension.

One other thing that is certainly worth mentioning regarding Sparks idea of the Signal Box Gantry is that the Knapford Station Building Kit would help the Signal Box Gantry immensely in sales and vice versa, but it would have to be the 2 or 4 track version (2 passage way version). The reason is that since Knapford Station has three platforms with two tracks in between, the two tracks could go perfectly underneath the gantry. Thus, the way that I would design the box is by having a picture of Knapford Station and the two parallel straight tracks leading to underneath the gantry. The box could say "Now you can give your HO Thomas & Friends HO Scale locomotives a safe way to leave Knapford Station with the help of the Signal Box Gantry..." (which is similar to what Bachmann did with Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station. However, at the same time, if a modeler did not want to use Knapford Station and have it "in the open", four tracks would be able to fit underneath. I do think that this is possible especially after observing Spark's first pic with Thomas and Percy. The same could apply to the Ruined Castle and Black Loch Folly.

Thank you again Chaz and Sparks for liking my ideas just as much as I like yours. Hopefully, Bachmann is reading our ideas very carefully  ;).

TrainFan97

Once Bachmann gets to Peter Sam, he can resemble Edward Thomas very well. There's a very good chance Rusty would resemble his CGI render, but we'll find out possibly in mid-February.

Just before Season 16 and Blue Mountain Mystery, Nitrogen went to the Talylynn Railway to take measurements for the CGI models, but there was a problem. Douglas (Duncan's basis) was at the works to be mended at the time, so they couldn't take measurements for Duncan, which is why he got such a bad render when he returned in Season 18. The other Narrow Gauge engines were beautifully rendered, but Duncan is definitely the odd one out.

When Bachmann eventually makes Duncan, there's a very good chance he'd resemble his sub-par CGI render, which can make his sales very minimal. Maybe Bachmann could make him resemble Douglas... if Mattel allows it.

I really think Bachmann should make another sound-fitted engine for HO Scale in the near future. If they do, Diesel would make a great choice. I think Percy is too small for a sound chip.

Cheeky_ULP

I really hope Bachmann has the foresight to choose the designs that may be best in the long run of sales for a model, rather than stick strictly to the CGI render designs.

Chaz

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on October 22, 2017, 12:53:18 AM

On a different note, I'm very glad that your're all for Neptune Refreshments  :). Although, I actually do not fully understand what you mean by the multi-packs with the Tidmouth and Knapford kits. Is it possible if you could elaborate on that? I apologize for poor comprehension.

What I mean is having all three of those buildings together in one set, like a 3-in-1 type of deal since all of those buildings are fairly small, like this Walthers kit here as an example:

Could work either way as a kit or individual structures.  But I feel like if they were to do the buildings you mentioned earlier it might make more sense for them to be released together in one set.

TerencetheTractor525

Ah, I understand now Chaz. An assortment of buildings from Lakeside Location would indeed be fantastic. I could see Neptune Refreshments getting packaged with the post office and a simple terraced house from the location. I wonder what Bachmann would call it though? Although, at the same time, I would be for selling them individually as a modeller may want to have multiple terraced houses next to each other as shown in the gallery.

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Lakeside

Nevertheless, these buildings would be an excellent addition, considering that there are currently no town buildings; and for sure, they would bring even more charm to the Bachmann Thomas Range altogether.

Metal

I personally think this should be in their next batch of buildings.

I call it the Shunting Yard Shed

Also used in Ffarquhar Quarry.

A generic shed.

What do you think?

TerencetheTractor525

Another fantastic idea! Thank you for mentioning it Metal! The Shunting Yard Shed is another structure that I would immediately put on my wishlist. It is in indeed a generic shed, but one that both young and old Thomas fans will remember. As has Metal mentioned, it has been present in both the Shunting Yard and Ffarquhar/Anopha Quarry, and would look fantastic next to the single engine shed that was announced in 2015.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/7/7b/Salty%27sSecret65.png/revision/latest?cb=20160817174313

I also see this one being possible because even though it is a double engine shed, it is shorter in length than the single engine shed.

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Salty%27s_Secret/Gallery?file=Salty%27sSecret86.png

TerencetheTractor525

Hi again! I made one mistake that I wanted to mention. The building to the left of Neptune Refreshments actually says "Ticket Office", not "Post Office". I apologize for the confusion.

http://ttte.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Sam_and_the_Refreshment_Lady/Gallery?file=PeterSamandtheRefreshmentLady30.png